Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oh no - my oven is wet

Thanks Mel,

I had planned on picking some up this weekend but they were calling for rain. It was something like 70 degrees + here in Virginia so everything dried up and since I used an electric heater inside the oven - that too was dry.
    I took out the rest of the wood from underneath so the storage area could dry as well. With the rain coming I wanted to see what was going on...

Then the rain came for 24 hours - very heavy at times.

At the end of the rain here's what I saw -

- no wetness inside the oven - that's good but not really since I really didn't do anything yet (except keep the water from coming into the storage area using a concrete "ramp"). It also tells me that there is not some whole in the top of the structure or anything like that. The water must be coming in some other way.
    - the water is soaking into the slab and up the inside concrete blocks. The slab was done by a contractor. I think he used some cheap concrete with rebar. The water probably pours off the outside of the oven then since the slab is only 1-2 inches off the ground it absorbs the water instead of pouring off. Once the water is in the slab it works its way up the concrete blocks. After the heavy rain several of the blocks were wet - and not just the ones sitting right on the slab - others all the way up to the bottom of the hearth.

Now the question remains - it the water then soaking into the hearth (through the 3.5 inches on concrete and then into the vermiculite)? It's possible that in one corner the 3.5 inches of cements isn't very solid.

Since the rain has passed and they are calling for clear skies the rest of the week I plan on waiting until the slab and concrete blocks are dry and applying the Baer solution to the slab (the small portion outside and the floor inside) and the inside concrete blocks - without touching the stone outer wall. Stay tuned!

Comment

Consider lining your foundation slab before pouring

(M) My foundation slab, and those of many other builders, was lined with plastic sheeting prior to pouring the 5 or so inches of concrete.

(M) I have not experienced water seeping from capillary action to the surface, much less the concrete block.

(M) I know that water can seep up through a substantial slab as I have a potting shed that was not lined and during heavy rains develops wet spots.

(M) The expense of lining your foundation slab with durable plastic sheeting, in most cases, would be less than $10. I think it should be considered prior to that first pour.

(M) If I'm successful, you should be able to see that plastic in the next image:

Ciao,

Marcel
      "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
      but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Marcel,

Too late for me

I bought the Baer product tonight and if there's a nice day this week I plan on putting on the product at least on the slab inside and out and the inside concrete blocks.

Comment

I have a similar problem. We've been having rain for weeks and I've just gotten back in my oven. It's brand new, a large structure built by a contractor, and also completely covered w/ brick. Before the rains I'd finished my curing schedule. I have a 36" Superior Clay oven. I've had the door closed, and there is a roof on the chimney, but there are arched openings in the sides of the chimney. The ashes from my last burn are damp - not sopping wet, and the sides look streaked w/ water. Even if some rain came down the flue, it doesn't seem like it could wet all the ashes on the floor and the interior walls, as the flue opens in the front tunnel.
          I understand I must re-cure, but finding the leak(s) is beyond my talents! Any suggestions? Thanks

Comment

What way was the wind blowing the rain. Sometimes rain comes down sideways and blows against the wall and masonry is somewhat porous at times. Capillary action -wet to dry. I think that was what we called a nor'easter of a storm.
            Bill

Comment

Thanks, Bill. We've decided that as you suggested, the rain came in at just the right angle, maybe even thru the flue. I can't swear that my door was pushed in all the way. It's working now, so we're keeping our fingers crossed! Thanks for your reply. Cathy

Comment

My sympathies, I went through the same experience in late May, early June. Mine was actually sopping wet. Could not keep a fire lit and took 3 all day fires to get my hearth insulation to stop bleeding water (steady stream out 4 sides of my catilever) and 2 wks of fires to get it to perform somewhat "normal". Been covered with a tarp when not in use, ever since.
                I have decided my "winter" project will be to either build an enclosure over my igloo and entry OR a second dome coating with a waterproof membrane and extend my entry outward enough to keep any water from contacting any of the firebrick.
                Certain my problem was from the entry area getting wet from 2 weeks of driving rain....the rest of the bricks and insulation just kept sucking in the moisture.
                I was a little more than pissed at the time, not to mention greatly embarassed, as we had a few guests over for pizza the day of the discovery.

RT

Comment

Working...
                X