Duraflame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duraflame

I just bought a Primavera P70 oven and finished curing it. All excited, I went to Lowe's and picked up three different types of firewoods, one of them being Duraflame which can be found in every stores. Can I use it in a wood-fired oven? If no, is it an absolute no or it is just not ideal? It looks very waxy and I worry that it may ruin my oven.

Thanks,

Re: Duraflame

Absolute NO!!! For cooking things that don't have the coals or flame, Things like bread you can use any wood. In that I would avoid pressure treated or press boards like OSB because of the chemicals and glues. For things like pizza where you cook with a flame some local wood will do most prefer some kind of fruit or nut trees or some hard wood.

That Duraflame is so full of chemicals to make it burn you don't want it any where near food.

Comment

No Duraflame or any other man made "logs". They are nothing more than compressed wood pulp (paper) and wax. I'm pretty sure you won't get nearly the BTUs that a hardwood provides, so you will use WAY too many for them to be cost effective....as well as the chemicals and possible residue/staining from the wax concoction.
      I'm not even a proponent of the wax fire starters that some forum members use.

Try Craigslist, the yellowpages, or landscape contractor for firewood, stick with hardwoods and make sure it is seasoned (dried thoroughly)

RT

Comment

Thanks, I'm glad I ask.

Okay, another type of firewood I picked up from Lowe's is Pinon from New Mexico. On the bag, it says "not for cooking". Is this another no no?

Comment

Also on the bag, it says "aromatic". I think it smell nice, actually expels mosquitoes. It is also quite a bit more expensive.

Comment

Correct that is another no no. You can also check with local tree trimmers. It won't be dry but it will be a good source for next year.

On a Google search talk with these people http://www.arindertreeservice.com/
            Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 01-14-2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

"That Duraflame is so full of chemicals to make it burn you don't want it any where near food."

And it is a very expensive way to heat an oven.

The best long term strategy is a good wood management plan. This will let you control the wood quality and will also be by far the cheapest way to go.

-Estimate how much wood you will burn in a year. I use mine about once a week for 6 months and burn about 1/2 cord of Douglas Fir (which is not a fir).

-Buy your wood when it is cheapest - usually late winter/early spring.

- Don't bother looking for "seasoned" wood. The only way to be certain is to season it yourself. This may be a short as one summer season for wood such as Doug Fir or may be two years for some eastern hardwoods. I buy mine in the spring for use in the following spring/summer.

- Build a good well ventilated woodshed large enough to hold 2 years supply multiplied by the duration in years it will take to season. If you live in an area where there are termites or carpenter ants, site the woodshed well away from your house.

Pretty soon you will get carried away and end up with a chainsaw, wood splitter, trailer etc.
              Last edited by Neil2; 01-14-2011, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Man, I almost poison my family...

FIV: I'll give arinder a call. I wish I knew them when I need tree service (I cut 7 trees in the last five years)

Neil2: thanks for the pointers.

Comment

I live in the suburbs, and I've had the absolute best luck in the spring and early summer. When it gets warm people get outside and start working in their yards, and they often cut back trees, cut down dead trees, and cut thick woody bushes.

Waste Management's bulk items truck comes Wednesday afternoon. Starting in March, I drive the neighborhood every Tuesday evening, and I always come back with a load of free wood. Give it a shot, you may be surprised

Stan

Comment

I agree with Stan. The best wood is free wood.

Comment

Every year I buy a stack of wood that is more on the "green" side. I use mainly the last years wood for lighting the fire, and occasionally the green wood once its real hot to slowly smolder. In my area I can get a rick of good hardwood for 65-70 bucks. Not bad, and easier for me than collecting whatever freebees I can find.
                      Ernie

Ducane 5 Burner Stainless / 34 Inch WFO

Comment

find a local millwork. most of the ones around here will either sell (very cheap) or give you a "bundle" of their scrap. the last bundle i got was mostly hardwood, about 1"x2" and 7'-8' long.. just about filled the box of a pickup truck

Comment

Working...
                        X