Average # of logs to achieve 700 degrees F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Average # of logs to achieve 700 degrees F

For my 42 inch Pompeii, at ambient temperatures between 0? and 10?, I have been reaching "white ash" in the dome in about one hour, plus or minus. Once the kindling has caught, I build the fire from front to back and out to the sides with seasoned maple and birch. I use split pieces from approximately 20 inch logs, which are 6 to 10 inches in diameter. I split each log into 4 to 6 smaller pieces. I've never kept track of the number of split pieces of wood, or the equivalent unsplit logs, used to reach "white ash." I'd estimate 4 to 6 logs, split into smaller pieces, is what it takes.

Fortunately, on my property I have an unlimited supply of maple and birch. More comes down than I can use for my sauna, fireplace and WFO, although getting to it is not always convenient. I follow the same approach for firing the WFO as my sauna stove -- smaller split pieces of wood. They burn and release heat faster. Firing the WFO may now be my favorite chore because among other things, I get to stand around and watch a great roaring fire while drinking some wine or a little scotch. Dolce vita . . .

Comment

Today, I used a total of 5 splits ( 16 inch long with a 4 to 6 inch wide part). Lasted for the better part of 2 hours. Then threw on 1 more while cooking. However, mesquite is a VERY hot and dense wood.

CW
      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

From a post I put up a year or so ago . . .

This may seem a tad OCD-ish but for the past few months I have taken to weighing the wood before putting it into the oven to get a better sense for costs and consistency between fires. I am using a $5 hand scale lifting the wood in a home depot bucket. What I have found is that on average it takes me about 73 pounds of wood to get the oven up to Pizza temps (42" hemispherical dome). 73 pounds of wood equates to approx 373,760 BTUs.

I received a pretty good deal from a local apple orchard on some aged apple paying $126 for a full cord. There are 4100 pounds in a cord of apple so I am paying $2.25 to fire up the oven and probably another $.50 to keep the flame going during the festivities. Not bad, particularly considering that the residual heat lasts all week for various delectable's on the way down.

There are wood species conversion charts all over the internet, the one I used is here:

Page not found: The Worlds of David Darling

It will tell you that each pound of wood (any variety) will generate approx 6400 BTUs. I am guessing that that is 0% moisture and I am at about 20% moisture so I knocked the number down to 5120 BTU/lb .

Cost using other fuels (hypothetically):
        Electric: $11.65
        Natural Gas: $4.55
        Propane: $7.28

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

I just saw your video on youtube on starting you WFO fire, very nice. That's a lot of wood for a cold start . I guess my wood isn't nearly that dry, as I could never pull that off with 1 sheet of newspaper

Lighting up like that in 2 mins, how long will those (about) 17 logs last you before they're partially consumed and ready for feeding?

Thanks,
          Tenorio
          May your Margheritas be always light and fluffy.

Comment

Working...
          X