George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Re: My oven firing video

Now THATS a fire, Gus.

Comment

Nice oven George,
      With my oven flames going up into the entry and flue is an indication that the chamber atmosphere is too rich with fuel (reducing), this actually results in a lower temp. rise, Better to be air rich (oxidation) for max. heat output. When reducing in a kiln the mixture is made fuel rich and the temp. either plateaus or drops off. But I could be wrong in the case of your oven, they all fire a bit differently. Loved the fire video.
      Dave
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Very nice, looks like it heats up really quickly.

Comment

Nice video.

I fire mine the same way, with the flames licking out the doorway.

Comment

Thanks for your replies!
            Yes, I realized I had loaded the oven with too much fuel when I saw the volume of flames shooting out. I'm still trying to work out a balance of the right amount of fuel to load up initially for the top-down firing, and not having to continually tend the fire during that period. I did not see an improvement in start-up time with that big fire.
            As for the video I figured the flames shooting out in itself made it interesting for a short clip.....
            George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Nice video and oven George. A quick question - with the flames licking out in that volume, did you get any smoke avoiding the flue? Was the huge fire smokeless at all times?

It's that I just tried some eucalyptus with a big fire like that (a bit smaller comparatively, but I have a 51" oven), and got, at some points in time, smoke that avoided the flue....
              May your Margheritas be always light and fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenorio74 View Post
                A quick question - with the flames licking out in that volume, did you get any smoke avoiding the flue? Was the huge fire smokeless at all times?
                Thanks. By the time the fire gets that big there is virtually no smoke anywhere.
                The only time I get some smoke coming out and avoid rising up into the smoke chamber and flue is at initial start up when the flue is still cold or when I have some direct wind hitting the entry.
                But even during a big fire like that when I use green, unseasoned wood I will get a lot of smoke at times out the chimney, but rarely out the front of the oven. By that time the entire flue assembly is so hot that it becomes turbo-charged and will suck everything out the top.
                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Thanks also.

So i guess that if I have a lot of fresh wood in at one point during a big fire, that could be the cause of my one minute puff-out-the-door thing.... It only happened for a minute or two max.

To bad my chimney is beyond my reach to see how much smoke is coming out (it's about 20 feet up, above an adjacent location that belongs to the landlord)
                  May your Margheritas be always light and fluffy.

Comment

Working...
                  X