New Log Splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Log Splitter

I've been getting good use out of my 7 T electric log splitter but recently had some problems with it so it is now awaiting spare parts from the factory.

Doing some shopping online recently, I came across and purchased a nice 12 T petrol splitter with a 5.5 HP 4 stroke motor. The additional pressure will be a great help as the 7 T model struggled a bit with the "iron like" properties of the local timber. Have plenty of wood waiting to be processed so will put it to work next week when it arrives.

A good deal for $799 + delivery.
    / Rossco

Re: New Log Splitter

Dear Rossco
    12 ton pressure....4 stroke motor...thats no plain axe.....thats a weapon

regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

A word of warning: the only serious injuries we've had reported are from the use of log splitters. Be careful.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
        Dear Rossco
        12 ton pressure....4 stroke motor...thats no plain axe.....thats a weapon

regards dave
        Hi Dave - I was tempted to go for the 30T beast so if I got tired of splitting wood, I could always crush vehicles for the cops under the new hoon laws!!! ;-)
        / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
          A word of warning: the only serious injuries we've had reported are from the use of log splitters. Be careful.
          Yes - I agree that they are dangerous ... but very, very useful.

For safety I use a full-face shield, ear protection and gloves - but ... often a dry piece of wood splits with a loud crack and fires the split pieces off in random directions - normally at the operator!

There's also a risk of getting ones hand caught between the log and the splitting blade.

Otherwise, like any equipment, you have to operate it very alert and aware of one's surroundings.

Actually come to think of it I would have thought that chainsaws are the most dangeous tools we would come across with kickbacks and other unpredictable behaviour.
          / Rossco

Comment

Actually come to think of it I would have thought that chainsaws are the most dangeous tools we would come across with kickbacks and other unpredictable behaviour.[/QUOTE]

Borrowed a chainsaw off a mate one time.... blunt, loose blade full of wet wood shaving... took the side cover off....Guess what he had disconected the kick back brake!!!. Claimed it filled with damp wood chips and stopped the saw ...now thats scarey

Regards Dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Chainsaws need lots of maintenance. I sharpen mine every 6 cutting sessions or sooner if it battles and produces powdery sawdust. They also need to be stripped down and the chain bar lube mechanism checked regulalry.

I bought mine on eBay for $130 delivered and it is showing serious signs of wear now so I may get a Stihl one of these days and bin that one.
              / Rossco

Comment

The "Tree Crusher" arrived today and after a few hours putting it together I started it up and split some of the hardest wood I could find on my log pile. This thing flattened everything I threw at it - effortlessly. It is an awesome piece of equipment and comes with all the oils required to "just add petrol" and split.

One of the great features is that you can stop and start the hydraulic mechanism anywhere in the stroke. Build quality is excellent and the Millers Falls (Honda Style) 4 stroke motor purrs along and uses very little fuel.

Highly recommended for processing your own wood. Will post some videos at the weekend when I catch up on my wood splitting backlog.
                / Rossco

Comment

Some pics of the new splitter = which I have found another use for: wood vice for the chainsaw! For those "difficult to hold" pieces of wood, you can have the splitter firmly grip the log and allow you to trim oven lengths of wood with the chainsaw.

Have almost caught up on my backlog of splitting and I should have a whole lot more wood seasoned and ready for the oven in a few week's time.
                  / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                  X