No announcement yet.

Oven temperature with IR thermometer ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven temperature with IR thermometer ??

Hi all,

i been searching all over but can't find a final answer, how/where do i measure the temperature, i am in the process of curring the oven - are on step 2, i build the fire in the middle of the oven, do i measure the sides or the bottom ??

I hope someone have an answer

kind regards,
    Ole

Re: Oven temperature with IR thermometer ??

No one that got an answer, i am a bit confused about how to do it.

kr,
    Ole

Comment

Dont use the ir thermometer, you will know when the oven is cured as it will heat quicker and retain the heat longer when cured.

Before its properly cured the oven will be cold and take ages to get a good fire going.

The oven will tell you when its ready.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Your IR will tell you that the hottest part is the crown of the dome, while the lower walls are the coolest. It is hard to get the moisture out of the bottom of the oven, particularly out of the vermicrete layer under the floor, if that's how you built it. If you use a standard oven thermometer that measures the air temp.you find that it's hard to get a new oven up to 200C (400F) on the floor, while the top of the oven will be way hotter. Just follow the curing guidelines and you'll be sweet.After the oven is cured it will heat much more evenly.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi brickie an dDavid,

thanks for your replies, ok i will just keep curring it and learn it on the way.

thanks
          \Ole

Comment

Hello All,

Ogodt may be in reference to the curing schedule shown on page 65 of the FB Pompeii plans. The directions recommend use of a digital infrared thermometer (available from the FB store). It doesn't say where to take the readings but does iterate the specific temperatures that should be maintained throughout the day.

Cheers,
            Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Working...
            X