No announcement yet.

New guy with smoke and heat question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with smoke and heat question...

Hello everyone. Very glad I found a forum dedicated to pizza ovens. I recently completed my outdoor kitchen and have a pizza oven that was installed. It is under a 9 foot ceiling lined with vinyl soffit material. The other day while using it for the second time but first time with a larger fire the amount of smoke that came out the front of the oven instead of going up through the chimney caused alot of charring and softening of the vinyl. I am using kiln dried oak which was delivered from my fireplace wood supplier and I really need advice on the smoke issue. It was so bad that my eyes were burning just being near the oven's area.

Re: New guy with smoke and heat question...

Can you post some pictures or a diagram ?

You will probably want to pull that soffit material.

Comment

I would hate to do that as it matches but if I had to replace it I would. Key is to reduce the smoke alot as it is unbearable to stand near the area and it stains everything. Here is a photo.

Comment

I'm thinking of a vent hood over the door and vent the smoke up and out. That will also take care of the heat issue as well. They make some really classy vent hoods that would look great and be quite functional.

Comment

Awesome. If you have any links so I get an idea I would really appreciate it.

What about something to help with drafting, like this?

Fireplace and Wood Fired Oven Exhaust : Quickdraft

Comment

I have some questions since I can only see the exterior of the oven. It looks like a barrel form, with a square or rectangular cooking area. Is this correct? The door looks large. Is there some kind of constriction in the front, so the top of the door is approximately two thirds of the height of the top of the oven? Where the flue meets the entry, is there any kind of funnel arrangement, or does the flue leave directly from the arch? Finally, what is the size/configuration of your flue? It looks like a masonry chimney, does it have a flue tile liner?

I think the vent fan should be unnecessary. It's quite a tall chimney. I'm thinking there's some kind of obstruction. What kind of flue cap are you using? Could you take it off and see if that improves things?
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Here is a link to the manufacturer specs on it.

http://www.stoneagefireplaces.com/Im.../Amerigo-1.pdf

The chimney is ceramic with masonry around it and right at the very top we just put a ceramic stack on it with a steel cap. I am attaching a photo of the chimney flute at the top.

I really appreciate the help here as this is very frustrating.

Comment

Need to see the inside of the oven and the flue entrance configuration.
                Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Sounds like your flue is too small and restricting the flow of gases.

Or the oven is constructed wrong some how.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

failed to read the link
                    Last edited by Les; 06-02-2011, 06:46 AM. Reason: way off base
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

New ovens that are still wet tend to smoke. Maybe you just need to fire it more to dry it out. Also overloading the chamber with fuel is a cause of smoking. Generally you need to put in less fuel than you think is necessary.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

NYC,
                        Looking at the plans from the manufacturer, it appears that the flue diameter is only 4"
                        Even though this is an updraft design a 4" flue is way too small for an oven this size IMHO. Why don't you contact the manufacturer with your problem?
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I think David S has a great point. 4" flue is small for the oven size. I would agree that this is most likely the cause of your smoke issues coming out of the oven door. I would check that your oven has this small opening because you do have a sufficient chimney pipe coming out of the roof. If the opening is 4" do call the manufacturer.

Comment

The top piece is one we added to use the cap and it has an 8" OD. The flue from the oven is indeed a 4" ID.

Comment

That is your problem. 4" is too small. Can you give us some pics of the transition area?
                              Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Working...
                              X