Wet Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Oven

I built my CASA2G oven last summer and used it successfully many times. After a wet winter I opened it to find the interior of the oven was damp. I checked the exterior and found there were no cracks or anywhere that water could get in. It took me ten days of seasoning to get the temperature up to 900 degrees. Does anyone have any ideas how this could happen? Do I have this to look forward to every spring?

Re: Wet Oven

Hmmm.

You may need to post a few pics for us to troubleshoot the issue. It was a wet winter, as discussed with my dad who lives over in Lake County.

None the less, you may not have sealed the structure properly (pretty fair guess) which allowed for water to get in during a windy period.

I would just dry the thing out (you are heading into the dry season) and look for suspicious openings in your structure.
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Thanks for the reply C5dad. The kit was sealed with 50 lbs of high temp waterproof mortar, 3" ceramic blanket, 3" of stucco and painted with exterior paint. The only think I can think of is the water came in the chimney, but it has a cap so it shouldn't.

Comment

"Do I have this to look forward to every spring?"

Not to that extent.

One thing to think about is your slab. If there is any depression or "bath tubbing" of the slab the water that has accumulated there may some effort/time to remove. This is not uncommon.

One solution may be to drill 2 or three 3/8 inch hole up through the structural slab into the insulation layer for drainage.

Comment

Working...
        X