Ash wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash wood

My dad just told me they have to have two very large, 35 year old ash trees removed from the front yard because they are cracking and my folks don't want to risk any roof damage should one of them come down. He asked if I want the wood for the oven currently under construction.

Any thoughts on whether Ash would be good or should we stick with hard woods?

TIA!

Kira

Re: Ash wood

Ash is pretty hard. I'm using a mystery tree which i suspect is ash, although I don't get the raging heat I get with other woods like oak. Really, you can burn almost anything that isn't stinky or toxic.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

By all means, cut it and cure it. Ash is a hard wood, baseball bats used to be made of ash.

Comment

Ash is a very hard wood. They've been making baseball bats out of it since the beginning of baseball. I'm sure it burns well but I have no practical experience using it.

RT

Comment

Any firewood will work, but the best wood is free wood.

Comment

2nd that.
            I've busted my ass chopping for the past week - a FREE oak tree from a neighbors yard.
            No driving 20 miles each way to the only quality firewood purveyor, loading, unloading, still having to split it for oven use, and best of all, no $160 per 1/2 cord. Still got another day of chopping, should have at least a full year of consumption once it all seasons.

RT

Comment

"I've busted my ass chopping for the past week "

Great exercise. So you also save money by not needing a fitness club membership.

Comment

Working...
              X