Perpetual Fire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perpetual Fire...

Since getting back from my travels a few weeks ago I have kept my fire going almost permanently. I use the following process which is pretty fuel efficient:

I build a good size fire and do my cooking. Once the coals have burned down I add a few logs of wood and put the door on the oven allowing a small vent under the door. Up to 12 hours later I can remove the door and the wood has turned to charcoal and ignites after about 15 minutes after opening the door. I can cook breakfast then throw on a few logs and the cycle continues and the oven is ready for cooking dinner when I get home from work. I am monitoring the ash but it seems to be burning off and not building up as expected - so far anyway.

I use the oven for cooking full egg, bacon, sausage & toast breakfasts, baked potatoes, roasts, warming breads and other things up - even making soup. Can't remember when I last switched on the electric oven....
    / Rossco

Re: Perpetual Fire...

Eco friendly too as it doesn't use fossil fuels and uses carbon that's already in the system.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Good point! Also saves on fire lighters!! :-)
      / Rossco

Comment

saves money too, assuming you get your wood free.

Comment

Yes - I have been processing my own wood for about a year now. Always plenty left on verges when they have the bulk rubbish collection in the area.
          / Rossco

Comment

I always keep my eye out for wood. it is amazing how much there is around. You get good at noticing it. I haven't paid for wood yet. I have a ute and often throw the odd branch in. I love getting wood.

Comment

Yes I agree - really great to be self sufficient. I am getting good at recognising the really hard woods now too - like white gum, Jarrah etc. when they're thrown out. Making good use of my 12 T petrol log splitter and Stihl chainsaw to get the perfect size bits if wood for the oven. Both are very efficient.
              / Rossco

Comment

I could keep my oven around 450 degrees F with an armful of wood a week. Fire it to pizza on Sunday, say, then on Thursday build a small fire.

Comment

Tom,
                  If I remember correctly, your timbrel-arched barrel oven is 4.5" thick. Using your re-firing method, do you see any benefit to a slightly thicker (5.5"-6") dome?

Comment

If I planned on keeping it hot normally, then I would certainly go 6". I don't though and have only done it once.

Comment

Working...
                    X