No announcement yet.

Ever use wood pellets to cure the oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ever use wood pellets to cure the oven?

Maybe it's the sulfur content. Nowadays charcoal briquettes are full of "mineral carbon" aka coal.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
      Nowadays charcoal briquettes are full of "mineral carbon" aka coal.
      Maybe this should be a whole new thread... I use my smoker quite a bit; I love smoked pork shoulder, chicken, turkey, etc.

I have been using commercially made Kingston Charcoal Briquettes. I didn't realize they had mineral carbon in them. Should I be smoking with lump (natural) charcoal instead?
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Ken,

We love our pulled pork and brisket cooked low and slow in the smoker too. Don't know about coal content in briquettes, but we are big fans of oak lump in the firebox. My favorite is Royal Oak and Cowboy Lump is another national brand available locally. If you can get hickory lump it goes great mixed in with the oak and an occasional piece of red oak wood doesn't hurt either!

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I've seen Royal Oak in the stores here in Louisville. I'll give it a try!
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I do alot of low & slow meat smoking up here in CT. I love the cowboy lump charcoal. I mix it with red oak, apple & hickory. Mighty tasty BBQ. I just hope my pizzas come out as good as the BBQ.

Comment

I too have wood pellets for home heating in the winter (Nebraska), and they are great source of heat. I have thought about trying them, but my concern is that they require some degree of draft or moving air to help them burn. I may give them a go Wednesday evening (Oct 12) and see if they work. If so, I will post back and let you know what happens.

Comment

Working...
              X