How come?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come?

Perhaps a silly question but I am new so forgive me. How come you can't use lump charcoal in a wood oven? I use it in my Primo ceramic grill.

Thanks

Re: How come?

Yeah! Why not???
    My build documentary page:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Originally posted by RCP View Post
      Perhaps a silly question but I am new so forgive me. How come you can't use lump charcoal in a wood oven? I use it in my Primo ceramic grill.

Thanks
      You would have to build a lump charcoal oven. The good news is that they are exactly like the ones you will find on this site...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I think that at least one problem is that charcoal burns at a much higher temperature than wood. Charcoal can easily burn at 2000 degrees Fahrenheit and can produce small localized hot spots even higher than that. Those temperatures are going to destroy a brick oven pretty quickly. At least the floor.

One theory says that charcoal was invented by our ancestors to smelt metal - because wood fires could not get hot enough to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
          I think that at least one problem is that charcoal burns at a much higher temperature than wood.
          I believe there have been several people here that have used it. I have a friend that just bought an egg and it has fire brick - he's burning coal. I never tried it because my wood is pretty much free.

Comment

Well maybe so but I can get Royal OAk Lump for about 6.50 a bag and I buy it by the truckload for my BGE so I have it on hand ALWAYS.
            I have Live Oak all over the place cut and stacked that I dont like to use in my big BBQ pit anymore. Partial to Post OAk and Pecan. Im going to have to experiment i suppose. Hopefully this Live Oak will work in the WFO because its just gonna sit here. I find it too bitter for my Brisket, Ribs and Yardbird

Soooo what kind of wood do you guys use?

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post

Soooo what kind of wood do you guys use?
              I start with pine, it's all over the place. If I'm cooking w/ fire, I migrate to walnut or oak.

Comment

Beehive ovens - which are similar to our WFO's - are what were used by the pioneers to MAKE charcoal. Light a big fire in your oven and close the door. You'll have plenty of lump charcoal. I doubt it burns any hotter than wood without the introduction of forced air (e.g., a bellows)

I burn mostly hardwood. Apple, cherry, maple. I'll use Doug Fir or cedar to start my fire - but it pops too much to cook with it. Doubt you get much of either of those down in Texas
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I used lump charcoal to cure my oven and it worked very well. I was able to control the temperature and the duration, I would let it go for hours at very steady temps, of each burn easily with no ill effects to the oven or the oven floor.

David
                  "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

Forno Bravo say, or at least they used to, that their warranty would be void if you use charcoal as the fuel. Give them a call or if anyone from FB is moderating, maybe they could chime in. I use brickettes (a brown coal product here in Australia) to cure ovens because it produces virtually no flame which works really well when driving the water out of a new oven.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well Im hoping the Live Oak will be good and not too smokey/bitter like it is on my BBQ Pit. I start my Green Egg with a large propane burner which should work well in the WFO as well.

Comment

I use what they call "valley oak" here in California and it works fantastically.

Quercus lobata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I occasionally also used some aged Manzanita - Manzanita has a very pungent smoke but when used in the Pizza oven it is great. Maybe because the temperature is so high?

I think you will be fine as long as the wood is dry

Comment

Working...
                        X