Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cure before building the chimney and vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure before building the chimney and vent?

I am almost done with the dome of my oven and thought I would move right into the vent/chimney area.
    I noticed some ovens without the chimney.
    Should I cure the oven prior to building the vent and chimney or wait until both the dome and chimney are completed?
    Gino

Re: Cure before building the chimney and vent?

Wait until you have done the vent and chimney, this will give the oven time to cure slowly.. by waiting 1-2months from dome till first fires, i have zero cracks in my dome after 3 pizza nights..

Comment

Chidding,
      Is there a dome mortar consistency that you employed you could share?
      John

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
        by waiting 1-2months from dome till first fires, i have zero cracks in my dome after 3 pizza nights..
        Probably living in WA helped with the curing.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Honestly this was my first time using mortar so I can't give you exact details. But basically made it so my plaster trowel. (used to apply plaster inside?) could stand up without falling over?
          Not sure what I did differently except for having a plastic sheet over it after every day. Also most work was in winter which means the temps were never
          Over 20degrees Celsius.

I guess it was like a porridge consistency? Held its shape but was very pliable. I used silaset 40d from the company Sila.

Comment

I imagine I wont be done with the dome and vent/chimney for a while.
            With the Wester PA winters, I will probably tarp the oven until spring when I can work on the exterior.
            This way I have about 5 months of curing before the first firing. My deadline is my sons high school graduation in June 2012. By that time I should be cooking pizza.
            Gino

Comment

Thanks Chidding. I'm sure the plastic cover contributed (I used wet towels) but cool/damp conditions would seem ideal.

Comment

Working...
              X