smoke at start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoke at start up

I use the top down fire which is great to light and leave but it throws out a good bit of smoke at the start for 10 to 15 minutes, after that just wisps if i move the fire or add more wood. I use hardwood that is seasoned and further dried in the warm oven. My problem is a neighbour that has complained about me for everything before i got wfo and now makes life unbearable so i don't want to use the oven. I know there is no smoke without a fire but does it work the other way.
    Tom

Re: smoke at start up

Hi Tom

How long have you had your oven? sometimes when the oven has a little moisture in it you need to burn it out. It takes a few burns to get it to not smoke as much. I would try that and then once you do bake some pizza take it over to your neighbor as a kind gesture and watch how that changes the situation from a negative to a positive. =)
    Good Luck and happy cooking!
    Maria

Comment

Use charcoal (from a chimeny) to start it with very small amounts of wood.

Comment

Hi Maria , my oven is in operation for well over a year and is well dry. I have lit the oven early in the morning for pizza in the evening to avoid hassle because once it is hot there is no problem. As for bringing over pizza I would get it thrown back at me but that's ok more for the other neighbours. Tom when you say start with charcoal do you mean light it under the chimney and when it is hot to add small sticks?
        Tom

Comment

I think what TScarborough was saying "charcoal from a chimney" meant to start the charcoal in a coal chimney. Karangi Dude has a great example on his site (here). It is an efficient way to light charcoal without introducing that noxious starter odor and flavor to your oven.
          Place them in your oven area after they are going good. I personally believe in preheating a chimney or flu. Of course, preheating your chimney will not decrease the smoke from a newly started wood fire but it will help the smoke carry higher, sooner. Maybe even clearing your neighbors house . In an extreme case like yours, you might want to preheat your chimney with a propane fired burner like this Bayou Classic that I have. If you try this preheat the flu, and remove the burner, before you add the charcoal. As TScarborough is suggesting, charcoal gives off less smoke. Get her hot and then give her the wood.

I just realized that I should have frased that differently .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

That is the ticket. Chimneys smoke for a few minutes, then blow clear. Light the chimney in the best place not to annoy anyone, then when blowing clear, place it in your entry, or dump the coals into the oven.

Comment

Thanks for advice. Looked up chimney on u tube and they seem to be the business. Will have to make one as I have never seen them here but that's ok.

Comment

Working...
              X