Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Day

Or what not to do.

Had a pizza party on friday night, waited several hours before placing the door for the night. Had a function that had me away from the house all day and evening Saturday, and when I went to check on temps on Sunday mid day and this is what I found. Scarey thinking about an active flame outside of the oven. Door was made of a metal pan (shown) and brass screws (also shown) and two layers of 2x6's along with some trowel handles.

Good news is nothing happend to anything surrounding the oven, the ash and solids fell through the slot and into a metal bucket, and the oven was still at 250 degrees. Ambient outside temps those two days did not go above 34F and dropped to 4F over night.

Re: Bad Day

Good thing it wasn't windy blowing embers who knows where.

Comment

Hi Roob,

If you had told us about that wooden frame, we would have told you not to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
        Hi Roob,

If you had told us about that wooden frame, we would have told you not to do it.

Hey Laurentius,

The 2 layers of 2x6 were sitting in a metal pan that covered the entire front and all four sides. Had used it for almost 2 years before this happend.

Before that I used an all wood door that was a 2x12 with handles. I used to soak that door prior to placing it for the night or baking bread. Once I created the new door the old door was tossed in the oven during a firing.

I simply placed this door while the oven was to hot. No active flames, just to hot. Not sure if it smoldered into nothingness or if it actually burned up. Just know I need to ensure it is a bit cooler before placing another door.

Comment

Originally posted by WJW View Post

Good thing it wasn't windy blowing embers who knows where.
          That is the thought that scared me the most. When I saw the door, my heart just sank. Could have been catastrophic.

Comment

Hi Roob,

It sounds to me, as if this time the oven was hotter than usual, when you closed the door. I hope that you realize that wood in the present of oxygen can spontaneously combust around 250c and without air turn into charcoal. By the way if you decide to make charcoal in your oven, don't open it up for days, otherwise up in flames it goes.

Comment

Working...
            X