Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much paper

It's Cleanup Australia Day.
    Which means it's free entry to the rubbish dump.
    Whcih means I got my sons on deck and we got busy emptying out the stuff I've been meaning to throw away. Old washing machine, old computer parts, bits of building materials, general junk, old tax records.
    Woah back I said, I should shred these old tax records, but I don't have a shredder. I know, I'll burn them in the WFO. Fire duly lit, dough made, cause we can't waste the heat now, can we?
    Except, there was no heat.
    I've never had a whole lot of trouble lighting the oven, but I did today.
    I reckon I know why a lot of new comers have trouble getting a fire going. Usually when I light the oven, it's one sheet of newspaper with kindling on top and it works fine.
    But when I was burning all this old paper, I filled the oven with ash, and I struggled all the way to pizza time. Paper leaves so much ash that it just plain chokes the fire. I ended up shivelling most of the fire into a steel pot, leaving just enough coals to get a fresh fire going with new wood.
    Never more than one sheet seems to be the go.

Re: Too much paper

I would not use newpaper for starting fires. I use my weed burner from harbor freight. Paper just gets messy and blows around. Learning lesson for you ?
    Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Many years ago in a far forgotten life, my wife and I bought an antique shop complete with stock from some called "friends" the figures looked good. (we lost $130,000)

As the 3 year lease drew near to running out, the lease on the shop was all that kept us captive to the seven days a week drain on our life and money, we had to sell or get rid or the remaining stock.

Books, thousands of books needed to be gotten rid of, the tip fees were/are horrendous, I know, lets just burn them! ( insert manic laughter here).

They were a real problem to burn, day after day we threw them on the fire, they appeared to burn but when you poked them the inner pages were not even scorched..........gharrhhhhhhh.
      Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-03-2013, 10:35 PM.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday
        Many years ago my dear old Nan brought this press thing out of a newspaper advert....was supose to convert newspaper into a log to burn on the fire.
        They look the goods but didn't burn either.....

Regards Dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Human history is littered with famous book burnings surely there would be a flame-proof how too book for future would be book burners.
          I might have to re-watch Fahrenheit 451 and see if there are any clues

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
            I would not use newpaper for starting fires. I use my weed burner from harbor freight. Paper just gets messy and blows around. Learning lesson for you ?
            Yeah, it's an oven, not an incinerator.
            I am bemused that you need a weed burner?
            A single sheet of newspaper and some decent dry kindling is all you need. I never have any trouble staring the fire, just burning a whole stack of old records, which got me thinking about all the new comers who seem to have trouble, that I've never understood, and I thought maybe they use too much at first.
            Last edited by wotavidone; 03-03-2013, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
              Many years ago in a far forgotten life, my wife and I bought an antique shop complete with stock from some called "friends" the figures looked good. (we lost $130,000)

As the 3 lease drew near to running out, the lease on the shop was all that kept us captive to the seven days a week drain on our life and money, we had to sell or get rid or the remaining stock.

Books, thousands of books needed to be gotten rid of, the tip fees were/are horrendous, I know, lets just burn them! ( insert manic laughter here).

They were a real problem to burn, day after day we threw them on the fire, they appeared to burn but when you poked them the inner pages were not even scorched..........gharrhhhhhhh.
              You burned them? I think I shall weep. Promise me there wasn't a first edition of Hoover's translation of De Re Metallica in there. Or a set of Vogels. Or Scott's Standard Methods of Chemical Analysis. (I have those, but i'd love a first edition.)

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                Yeah, it's an oven, not an incinerator.
                I am bemused that you need a weed burner?
                A single sheet of newspaper and some decent dry kindling is all you need. I never have any trouble staring the fire, just burning a whole stack of old records, which got me thinking about all the new comers who seem to have trouble, that I've never understood, and I thought maybe they use too much at first.
                Yes, i do use the weed burner very often when i start charcoal, charcoal seems to take a bit longer. Fyi my oven is not complete so im taking about Qing
                Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                  You burned them? I think I shall weep. Promise me there wasn't a first edition of Hoover's translation of De Re Metallica in there. Or a set of Vogels. Or Scott's Standard Methods of Chemical Analysis. (I have those, but i'd love a first edition.)
                  Thousands and thousands of them, it was cheaper than getting a skip.....
                  They were all rubbish titles..............I think?
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                  X