Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a wood fired oven that has been dormant for a while

Greetings,
    I have recently retired, changed careers and will be returning to the Philippine Islands in the next month or so. I have a few health issues but those are healing and I am doing much better. I have a red clay brick lined dome unit that I built a few years ago. The dome of the oven has an 18 inch arch and the dome of the door/entry is 15 inches, also an arch. The unit is
    about 3 1/2 foot wide and about 4 foot deep. The door is about 18 inches wide. The brick walls are covered with about 8 inches of concrete. I can build cinder block walls up from the table that the oven sets on, but have not done so yet. I could fill the area in between the cinder blocks and the area where the concrete walls stop, using rice hulls or even fill in the area with concrete. I am wondering which is the best way to go. Right now the unit is slow to heat up but once it is hot, it seems to stay hot for quite a while. I really want the unit for baking pizza. I am open to suggestions. I would like to bake one the brick floor of the oven, but I am willing to use metal pans to bake the pizza on. I am also willing to keep a fire going in the black style oven in order to bake the pizza. We find that cooking baking and roasting meat works well with the oven. We also use the ashes to make soap. In the Philippines we do not waste anything.
    I am also starting to use a rice hull stove, [in fact two stoves]. These are used for cooking meals and the oven is used for baking, roasting and other types of oven cooking.
    I am sure I have made my post just as ''clear as mud''. But, I would like to know how to finish the oven off. After the oven is finished I want to build a metal roof over the structure, and finish the walls off with red brick, the same as the home we built using a mold and concrete. We will be using the oven to show local people how to cook and bake 'on the cheap'.
    Blessings, peace and joy,
    JayJay

Re: Using a wood fired oven that has been dormant for a while

Are the 8" concrete walls in contact with the dome? If so they will take a very long time to heat up, using lots of fuel. One thickness of brick is plenty, then you need to insulate all around it to reduce the heat loss. Did you insulate under your floor? If not same deal.the oven will lose heat into the supporting structure under it. Maybe you could post a photo so members can see what you've got.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Re: Using a wood fired oven that has been dormant for a while

Originally posted by david s View Post
      Are the 8" concrete walls in contact with the dome? If so they will take a very long time to heat up,
      Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      Right now the unit is slow to heat up but once it is hot, it seems to stay hot for quite a while.
      Theres your answer.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
      X