Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Box elder safe to use?

Originally posted by mikku View Post
    Laurentius- did not know that you were into burning nasty wood.. if you really need a nice smoky fire with lots of pollution, try burning dirty oil filters, or soak rolls of toilet paper in your used engine oil- burns great! That is if you really want to make friends in the neighborhood! Old tires and styrofoam also burn good!

hehehehehe
    "Damn Trouble Maker", are you sure that you're not Related, to Al (Brickie of Oz)?? If not, stop reading his posts! And you didn't think he liked you? Now look at you, you've become what you feared, a Bully of the innocent, such am I. Hehehhhehehhehehehheh.
    Have you put your puppy outside, yet?

Comment

I really don't know what you are talking about!

Burning ties! I know that USA ones were oak, but just cutting them has to be a real pain. Sometimes, I have to use them for landscaping that requires a cut...a sure way of ruining a good chain or even burning out a chainsaw.

Creasote, and stones, and other junk imbedded---yuck.

Maybe you need to get a trailer and drive up here...there are many places to pick up free hinoke stumps, sugi and sawara wood-- first cut offs and tops. Plenty of wood for your use!

I was just searching out some wood tonight. I was promised a big tree about 3 years ago, when it was cut down. The log sections are better than 2' thru- Japan Oak. The owner of the land said a friend was going to take the wood--but it has sat there for 3 years and no one seems to care about it. Had to talk to the owner again tonite--they still don't know---but they said that they always have trimmings from "ume" trees. Japan plum.

What are your thoughts on plum wood for burning? I guess anything burns, but would it have a good fragrance??? for smoking etc? Right now, they chip the branches to prevent insect infestations. I would have a steady source of "plum wood" if it worked good for burning in an oven.

No, I am not related to "Brickie" but if he told you not to burn ties, he is a pretty wise fellow!

Oven is still sitting in the garage, work that creates an income is a priority right now... oven has to wait!

Comment

Hi Mikku,

Osashiburo dese nee! Glad to know you are alive and kicking and back on line, starting trouble.Heheheh, let sleeping dogs, lay. Plum(ume) wood is good, as a matter of fact all fruit trees make great fire and are great for smoking and flavoring. Send photos once you get your oven outside and remember to place it not to far from the house. I'm going to have my friend build me a wood curing stand like your. Hang in there and try no to fall off a roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          Hi Abouna,

I've burned pine, cedar, broken furniture and even toxic railroad ties.
          Planning for an early funeral?
          Burning creosote soaked railway ties, any wood with a finish (paint, varnish, oils, etc. is not only a personal health hazard but also an environmental hazard.
          While some species of wood will produce more creosote than others, a cooler fire will also increase the amount of creosote that builds up in your oven...
          But the creosote used for treating wood is actually produced from coal tar, not wood products, is far more toxic, and the treatment uses heat and pressure to get it to impregnate the wood making it more concentrated. Creosote derived from coal tar is carcinogenic.
          There are some species of wood (ie black walnut) which have some higher toxins in them, elder is not one of them. Dry and cure your wood really, really well and it will reduce the amount of smoke that you have when burning.

Comment

If you're burning a lot of junk wood, keep an eye on your spark arrestor (if you have one). They can get clogged with soot -- then *all* the smoke comes out the front . No more nighttime yard clean-up for me...

Comment

Hey Laurentius,
              The owner of the land with the big oak logs told me it is OK to cut them up for firewood.
              I measured the log at the first cut and it was 762 mm (30") with no branches for the first 12 feet. Should make some nice splitting wood. It looks like there is about 30' of tree before it branches off into little stuff.

This should keep me busy for the upcoming Golden Week Holiday, cutting off 14inch blocks of wood and trying to get them into the back of my van. They will be rediculiously heavy! Big chore splitting them into WFO size pieces!

Did you get your wood seasoning shed started?

I have not been working on roofs doing solar panels recently..just interior remodeling. That is nice work since we have had several rainy and one snow day recently!

There is another tree--Sugi that is about 2 feet through at the stump. Thinking about cutting that for firewood as well--but worry about it not burning very hot and a lot of smoke.

Comment

Hey Mikku,
                Have you started curing your oven yet?
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

No curing yet, working 7 days a week. No time for fun. Also have to get my wood supply replenished so that it can dry over the upcoming summer months. Golden week (a Japan holiday) begins on the 27th, so might have some time then. We cannot quite shake the winter yet, the other day here was drizzle mixed with snow. The mountains surrounding Nikko were all white with snow again--Cherry blossoms and snow!

I heat with wood and now the WFO will be competing for this precious resource!

Comment

Hi Mikku,

From winter to Golden Week, with no hot spots is unheard of for me. Great news on the oak, don't hesitate or someone will take it and sell it to shitake growers. Pass on the Sugi, very little BTU and it smokes like a SOB. Haven't started building my shed, my friend is very busy now. I'm busy with my herb and Jalapeno garden, since the weather is breaking. Got to go, baking bread as I write.

Comment

Oak from Fukushima and Tochigi is not suitable for Shitake mushrooms since the explosion at Fukushima Daiichi Reactors. There is too much cesium embedded in the wood. All the growers are importing oak from other regions or using an alternative media made from chips. We are supposed to send our ashes from wood stoves to the incinerator--along with burnable waste. They have scrubbers that can capture much of the radioactive particulates. I guess when I do my wood preparations--have to debark everything!

What is his herb garden you talk about?

Comment

I guess I am back into my "horses' butt mode". Laurentius--you said just two weeks ago that you burned old furniture and railroad ties in your WFO--but would pass on Sugi because it smokes and does not have a lot of caloric output?
                        What am I missing? I am assuming that a WFO needs rather small, split pieces of wood to get it up to temperature (I call it kindling)..Sugi as kindling burns pretty fast and there is a lot of that around! It splits pretty good too because of the straight grain--if you use the first cuts off the stump!

Usually I would not use Sugi in my house because of creasote buildup in the chimney...but for a WFO and a 1 meter tall stack, how much creasote can it build up in 39 inches?

Anyway--that is just the "horses butt" passing gas! ciao

Looks like I will have a few days off for Golden Week--time to mooch the forklift! I can get a fire started then go off to cut oak blocks--when I return with each load, I can add wood to the fire! My LP torch looks like $260 and still have to pay for the propane! That would be more than the refractory cement to just cure the dome.... Back to square one and just burn wood, if I cannot maintain the temperatures, that is called SOL in Northern Minnesota tango!

Comment

Hi Mikku,

When I said pass, if you're putting the time and effort into cutting it down, then into manageable pieces, splitting and drying it, the effort out weigh the benefits. Curing your WFO, what fuel or source of heat should you use? Let me think???? What about W-O-O-D?? Why waste money on LP torches, BBQ charcoal, when you already have wood? BUY MEAT($260 worth)! Why all the fuss? To avoid cracks! The best way to avoid cracks, Don't heat the oven. The best way to avoid getting and looking old? Die young! If people can build these fantastic ovens, why can't they manage its most essential component (FIRE). I hear that early man had someone whom sole purpose to the clan, was to carry with them at all time live embers, before they learn to make themselves. Now, that micro-management at its best.

Comment

The reasoning with the propane torch was to be able to maintain a consistant temperature without standing around watching the oven. If I am not busy, it is very enjoyable just to stare into a fire and day dream. But not for days on end doing staged firings. That is the reasoning behind cutting wood and firing at the same time---multi tasking. When you get tired of one thing, do the other!

I am not adverse to spending money on a tool if it can be used for another application as well. I have mountains of tools in my storage that sit around for years between usage and are extremely expensive. If the torch were half the price, I wouldn't blink. Cannot justify a one time use item---unless I want to start laying asphalt as a sideline too!

The "old days" of carrying the embers around are not that old. I think that there are still many gas appliances around that use the standing pilot light. Gas operated refrigerators and freezers come to mind--those that do not have electrically operated ignition devices and gas valves.

Is that the origin of "carrying a flame" or old flame in reference to a previous love?

Comment

I never said that the reason for curing my oven was to avoid cracks! My feeling is if you are going to invest your time in building an oven, trying to do each part correctly (or as correct as you can at the time)..then try to do the final part of curing the material before putting it into use.

Most of us are amateurs trying to do a professionals job. We are seeking out advise on how to do things properly without the knowledge you get from experience. I am certain that the old time oven builders in Italy weren't daytime accountants, doctors, skiers, salesmen etc. They were part of a guild of builders that traveled around making and repairing ovens and the sort. They knew their materials and how it reacted.

I know a lot of builders in general that take short cuts all the time. They say.. this is close enough! That is close enough! Their reasoning--it is too expensive; or not important; or someone won't see it. You can tell by their finished product- its a half assed job not worth wasting good materials on. Sometimes called "chuto humpa" or "heta koji" (unfinished); (poor quality).

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                                The reasoning with the propane torch was to be able to maintain a consistant temperature without standing around watching the oven. If I am not busy, it is very enjoyable just to stare into a fire and day dream. But not for days on end doing staged firings. That is the reasoning behind cutting wood and firing at the same time---multi tasking. When you get tired of one thing, do the other!

I am not adverse to spending money on a tool if it can be used for another application as well. I have mountains of tools in my storage that sit around for years between usage and are extremely expensive. If the torch were half the price, I wouldn't blink. Cannot justify a one time use item---unless I want to start laying asphalt as a sideline too!

The "old days" of carrying the embers around are not that old. I think that there are still many gas appliances around that use the standing pilot light. Gas operated refrigerators and freezers come to mind--those that do not have electrically operated ignition devices and gas valves.

Is that the origin of "carrying a flame" or old flame in reference to a previous love?
                                Hi Mikku,

Don't get your panties in a wad, I'm not on your case. My point is, Don't make a big deal out of curing the oven, and standing watch, like its a new born. Make a fire, when its hot enough, close the entrance, go about your daily grind, do it again until its cured. With all the caution in the world, you'll probably get some cracks. I hope that building the oven wasn't a cover to adding to your tool collection? About my herb garden, I grow dill, fennel, rosemary, tarragon, basil, sage, mint, lemon grass, jalapeno chili and this year I trying Tien Tsin peppers.

Comment

Working...
                                X