Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steady good heat without the large flames. How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: Steady good heat without the large flames. How?

If the outside render doesn't crack, you did something wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Looks good, those cracks appear normal.
    Cracks, cracks, cracks! Ovens are like, Plumbers they all have one, some are in your face, others are well covered. Stop worrying and cook something!

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Looks good, those cracks appear normal.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Here are some more from today, got the oven walls up to 400-425. Today went pretty well i guess. I got down the method pretty well. The charcoal chimney starter worked like a charm, lit up a few pieces of wood then constantly added wood, every 2 minutes i would throw in a piece inside, worked pretty well. The fire was constant and never went out in the chimney starter, i used scrap 2x4 wood at first then switched over to Hardwood/Mulberry.

Threw in some Mulberry to dry out for the next firing.

And here are the cracks thus far.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

I just wanted to share the way I happen to do it....there are other methods that work as well. Just slow and steady...slow and steady.

When I built my first one, I was as nervous about firing it as you are. The cracks appeared and I started to worry. I described it to my neighbor, who is very well known in the field of masonry heaters, as a builder and instructor. He just smiled and assured me that it's normal, and outside of a colossal building mistake, the oven would last a long, long time. That was over 8 years ago, and the oven is as good as the day I started the first real fire. I don't use heat guns or thermometers while curing or cooking. It's all feel and sight, and when you start using it more you will do the same thing. Don't worry so much....just go slow, keep steady heat, increase it gradually day by day. Before you know it, you will be churning out pies.

That is re-assuring, thank you for the info.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I just wanted to share the way I happen to do it....there are other methods that work as well. Just slow and steady...slow and steady.

When I built my first one, I was as nervous about firing it as you are. The cracks appeared and I started to worry. I described it to my neighbor, who is very well known in the field of masonry heaters, as a builder and instructor. He just smiled and assured me that it's normal, and outside of a colossal building mistake, the oven would last a long, long time. That was over 8 years ago, and the oven is as good as the day I started the first real fire. I don't use heat guns or thermometers while curing or cooking. It's all feel and sight, and when you start using it more you will do the same thing. Don't worry so much....just go slow, keep steady heat, increase it gradually day by day. Before you know it, you will be churning out pies.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 04-18-2013, 05:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Im a bit hesitant as you can imagine, last night the first few cracks appeared, hair line cracks around the top perimeter and down a few rows, it closed up mostly when it cooled down in the morning. So i want to be cautious and take it easy, and do it right. Im hoping to get the heat up to 400-425F tonight. From what i understand, build a small fire in the center, keep on adding fuel and spread it around, is this correct? Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

^ probably not. Show off, trying to flash your guns???
    Last edited by V-wiz; 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Is yours 500,000 BTUs?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    To quote Laurentus, Newbie forum, "Heat drops fast"....
    Quote "Then, cook something while it cures" Unquote
    Well why not ....it doesn't have to be a 90 sec pizza does it.

Regards Dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 04-18-2013, 02:45 PM. Reason: Mistake

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

It hasn't caused a problem in the past...but the key is keeping the fire small and continually move coals to the perimeter. Oh, and as we all know, cracks happen eventually...causing damage from rapid expansion is what you are trying to avoid.
    Got it, thanks

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Oh ya ive got one, i mentioned i used one, i didnt like that method. Rather use wood as its more even

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
    By doing this that would mean having hot spots at the center/top of the dome and having the bottom walls be a lot cooler, and doesn't this cause cracks? the large temp variation? Is this the correct understanding?
    It hasn't caused a problem in the past...but the key is keeping the fire small and continually move coals to the perimeter. Oh, and as we all know, cracks happen eventually...causing damage from rapid expansion is what you are trying to avoid.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Cactus burner.
    Whats that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X