Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was just begging me to take it

It was just begging me to take it,
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-12-2013, 12:18 AM.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: It was just begging me to take it

"It was just begging me to take it",

Al,
    We may be world's apart on this earth but, you think a hll of a lot like me . There is just no describing the feeling of scavenging something that would have otherwise been lost forever .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

After the floods in this part of the country there is a lot of timber that has been floated down and left high and dry. It makes good sense to put it to good use rather than it all end up piled up and burnt or left to rot eventually.

If you are going to burn wood it may as well make good smelling emissions!

Cheers ............ Steve
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I like your pictures. ( My travel bug is biting at me) Tell me a bit more about the woods in this goldfield. Was it striped and that is all new growth or is that the normal woods in your area?

I only ask because I'm a woods kind of girl (no shopping malls or fancy restaurants for me)

I have visited many of the woods here in the USA and every region is different. Now I see there are more wooded personalities out there.

Thanks, Faith

Comment

Hi Faith.

Same here I would rather be in the bush or outback than in traffic or shopping, my shopping trips consist of get in, get out, no browsing, the crowds sheet me to tears, thank goodness for internet shopping.

All the bushland around any of the goldfields was stripped and its all regrowth, I have a feeling this area where I saved the tree from was also clear felled at some stage as all the growth is only about 30 years old.

Trees in the goldfields are very slow growers due to the gravelly buckshot ground and the minimal rainfall which is around the 500 to 600mm per year.

It makes great firewood though due to its density.

Ive got some video I was going to upload from my vehicle camera for you but my HD card reader is playing up.

Ill get more pics of different types of bush if you like.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

That would be great.

I was out in the rain today baking some bread. It was one of those sloppy rain days where every living thing takes shelter or hunkers down. Spring is just springing here and the grass in the fields are at their greenest the trees are dawning their new leaves for the season but even on such a rainy day my woods were so inviting.

I was thinking I should get some pictures of my woods, I think you would like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post

I was thinking I should get some pictures of my woods, I think you would like them.
              Yes please.

I tell people that I work with that I go bush as often as I can, they just look at you blank.....and say, why?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Faith, here is a vid of the same area taken with the on board camera, I was heading to a dam to try my luck for fresh water crays (yabbies) for lunch but had no luck.
                Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-12-2013, 12:18 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Brickie,
                  Great video! It just makes me want to see the ?Outback? just that much more. I know that this thread is about finding wood. But, the term ?crays? caught my attention. That, being similar to ?crayfish?, what my northern friends call crawfish.
                  I did a Google search on yabbies,......... Damn, those things (as for as size goes) puts our ?mudbugs? to shame.
                  I will try some of the Aussie recipes, on our local bugs. If I ever get over there, I would love to try some Zatarain's on those monsters .

PS
                  Do ya'll use traps to catch them?
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                    It just makes me want to see the “Outback” just that much more.
                    PS
                    Do ya'll use traps to catch them?
                    Its Outback of my back door so to speak, just 100 kms from here, not really the Outback.

I use a drop net with some fat tied in it, they just love fatty meat.

Apart from Yabbies we also have their bigger cousins the Freshwater Crays, they can grow quite big, like 12" long.
                    Same method of catching them too.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

For something a little wetter, here's a video of the cypress forest near my house. Unfortunately, the large cypress trees in most areas were cleared a long time ago.

Last edited by Kurtloup; 05-11-2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

This is my woods behind the house, I will get some pictures later of my favorite spot while in the woods.

Al loved the video, I used your GPS and Google Earth to track your location on that road. You can clearly see those trees in the woods have had a hard life. Now as far as you taste in music....LOL
                        Thanks for taking the effort to show me your wooded world.

Kirtloup, That is truly wild country in your cypress forest. You have more things that crawl slither and BITE in them there woods. But the beauty is breath taking.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
                          This is my woods behind the house
                          Hi Faith.
                          Its so green, even the trees are green........ not used to seeing so many green trees.
                          Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-12-2013, 12:19 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Same forest 50 kms away from the other vid.
                            Back in the 1860's there was a gold town here with 90,000 people in it, then one night it rained, and rained.
                            Next day they were all gone, all their goodies are still buried beneath 300mm of silt, I give it a shot now and then and turn up lots of coins.

You can see the trees are bigger due here to the extra water below the surface in the gully.
                            The trees are also a different variety, they change due to the available water.
                            Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-12-2013, 12:19 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                            X