Norway Maple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norway Maple?

The city is cutting down two "Norway Maple" trees in the median in front of my house tomorrow and leaving the wood for the neighbors. Anyone have experience burning this in their oven? I can't find it listed on the chimneysweep BTU chart but mentions I have found of it indicate it burns pretty well.

I loves me some free wood.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Re: Norway Maple?

Great wood, grab it all.

Comment

Depending upon where you are, Norway Maple can have some great figure inside that wood turners like- if happen to know someone that turns, you might offer up a chunk. I've seen some remarkable bowls and hollow vessels from this type of maple.

Comment

The most likely reason you didn't find Norway Maple on the site you checked is because it's an invasive species which is native to Europe and Asia.

I have nothing in my charts about Norway, but from the things I have read, it has BTU rating close to Sugar Maple.

We burned this wood (along with any hardwood species on the east coast) and split pretty good. Burned nicely too....I would grab some if you can.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

I grabbed maybe a third of a cord. There was lots more down there but I just don't have the room to store it. Probably nearly two cords left. I grabbed mostly the small stuff, and split a few of the bigger rounds.

Some of the wood did have some cool spalting - but I don't have any woodworker friends, so I'm just gonna burn it
          Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	295969
          My build progress

Comment

a free 1/3 of a cord is better than a nothing any day. Nice score.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

This stuff split up really nicely. I am looking forward to firing the oven with it next summer!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000380.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	296455
              My build progress

Comment

Working...
              X