• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: Firewood Gathering & Little Surprises

Well done.

I always let the wildlife go, other people I meet think Im nuts, which I prolly am.

Ive let snakes, scorpions, spiders and all manner of stuff go about their own business.

I must get out for some firewood, lately we have had a lot of rain which makes the ground soggy and strong winds which blow the trees over in the soggy ground.

Rain and strong wind is the god of the firewood gatherer.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 10-12-2013, 11:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    started a topic Firewood Gathering & Little Surprises

Firewood Gathering & Little Surprises

I reckon that there would be some interesting tales out there of encounters with nature while gathering firewood.

I have had a couple of recent interactions with nature, most recently finding a hive of native bees in a newly fallen dead tree. Since they are now vulnerable to fire I will rehouse them and relocate them into my garden. They don't sting really but get everywhere (in the beard, ears, nose) when they get excited and a chainsaw will get them excited.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Native Bee Hive.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	320129

The other one was finding this bloke in amongst the wood when I unloaded it at home. Glad I saw him first. He was released into a remote part of the garden. He wasn't very big, about 2-3 inches long. There was also a large centipede aboard but he escaped the camera.

Name:	Scorpion (1).JPG
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	320130

Worth dodging the hazards to have a decent supply of good quality wood stored up for when the rains come (if they come).

Name:	15.07 (1).JPG
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	320131Click image for larger version

Name:	15.07 (3).JPG
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	320132Click image for larger version

Name:	15.07 (4).JPG
Size:	135.5 KB