• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: Finding Good Wood In The UK?

Gudday
    Got given some pallets from a kitchen bathroom place which I excepted politely.
    They had a code stamped on them and I googled it to find out what they were about. The timber was one of a number of species of pine from Canada which had been treated for insects and eggs with steam.
    I burnt it. Didnt smell the best and crackled and spat sparks but heat is heat, you can always finish off with some "good " wood.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

It is probably a bit like foraging for mushrooms. If you know what it is that you are looking at you will be fine. I would not touch anything that is CCA treated and the green/blue tinge to it is usually obvious. Not all construction timber is treated.

I guess we are spoiled in this wide brown land, good quality hardwood is easily found for free if you have a chainsaw and trailer/ute.

Leave a comment:

• kstronach
    replied

Wouldn't the chemicals have burnt off by the time the woods burnt down to embers anyway? I dont use offcuts when im actually cooking pizza but will often have a fire the night before in the oven using offcuts to get some pre heat if you will in the oven then I'm not firing her up from cold on pizza day.

Keith

Leave a comment:

• GrahamG
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Skip dive building sites.
    Thanks for that, but that is not an option...the cr*p that's thrown away on building sites would certainly not be going in my WFO!!

I even know people who use Heat Treated pallets, who must be insane as they are treated with a form of arsenic, just imagine cooking your food in that stuff.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Skip dive building sites.

Leave a comment:

• GrahamG
    started a topic Finding Good Wood In The UK?

Finding Good Wood In The UK?

Struggling to find good wood that is freely available in the UK, any ideas?

I tried a local orchard and he asked me what I wanted it for, so I told him and he then told me that he would use it for his wood burner in his house...
Working...
X