X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building A Better Fire

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    G'day
    Couple of pieces of Charcoal soaked with teaspoon of metho spirit (Dentured alcohol) makes a great firestarter . No petrol smell either.
    Regards dave
    I prefer a shot glass with 195 proof grain alch. Use a propane torch to light the fire, then drink the shot.

Comment

G'day
      Don't breath near the fire ... Just trust me with that one
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Well, now that we are talking about flammable liquids, I will describe my approach.
        I have a heap of off-cuts of particle board and MDF. When these materials get old they go kinda furry, presumably as the glue breaks down.
        A capful of turps or kero poured on a three or four inch square of soft MDF soaks right in.
        Build a pile of light timber over the soaked MDF and apply a match. Burns steady, like a lamp wick, as the turps has to boil out of the MDF to burn.
        By the time the turps is burnt out everything else is alight.
        I just start the fire where I want it, over to one side.
        Pizza ovens get far too hot for any smell to hang around.

Comment

That is a very good idea. I don't think that I would be doing that in my Oven because I have a prejudice against anything but wood - not even paper goes in the oven.

However, I have other fire devices and this would be perfect to get it going without a lot of fuss.

I would recommend however that you get a standard propane torch with an instant starter. This lights it up quickly and leaves no residue - plus it looks cool.

Comment

No way propane torch mate. My father-in-law was killed when his propane torch blew up (all brand spanking new equipment).
            I helped the brothers-in-law with the cleanup. There are no propane torches at Chez Wotavidone.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
              No way propane torch mate. My father-in-law was killed when his propane torch blew up (all brand spanking new equipment).
              I helped the brothers-in-law with the cleanup. There are no propane torches at Chez Wotavidone.
              Wow, I never gave the torch a second thought. Maybe I will use a butane pencil torch instead. I think I have a couple of them that I used for soldering. They are basically glorified cigar lighters (but hotter).

Comment

Originally posted by navyintel View Post
                Wow, I never gave the torch a second thought. Maybe I will use a butane pencil torch instead. I think I have a couple of them that I used for soldering. They are basically glorified cigar lighters (but hotter).
                No mate, carry on, with the propane torch I mean. You'll be fine.

I should elaborate a bit.
                Here in Oz, acetylene is expensive, especially since you have to rent the cylinders.
                So the big names in gas welding, like CIG for example, sell regulators and hoses so you can use a propane (we call it LPG) cylinder in your gas welding and cutting gear. Ideal for DIY-ers who don't use their gear often enough to justify the expense of acetylene. They use LPG and oxygen instead.
                So that's what my father-in-law had. All brand new, specific for purpose gear.

So one day he annealed some copper pipe for a neighbour. As he was turning the cylinders off after the job, the 100 pound LPG cylinder exploded. Peeled it open like a sardine can. Threw the neighbour out of the shed door, and he walked away with burns to his legs.

The father-in-law died at the scene. The explosion was heard for miles, all the sheet iron was blown off the shed and it blew the mesh out of the security door over at the house. (And the tiles off the bathroom wall).
                We never found the oxygen cylinder, not to this day.
                Hell of a mess, and my wife and I were the only family members in a fit enough state to formally identify the body.

Then I had to break the news to my kids that Pop was gone.

I have a very small cylinder on my BBQ with a brand new hose.
                Despite my fondness for DIY, all gas fitting at my house (we have gas stove and hot water) is done by a licensed gas fitter.

I keep the little butane cylinders for my camping stove in the fridge until I need them.
                And no propane or acetylene torches at my house.
                If it can't be cut with an angle grinder or welded with a stick welder, it ain't getting done.
                Last edited by wotavidone; 02-11-2014, 05:31 AM.

Comment

That's a tragic story, it sounds more like it was the oxygen cylinder that blew. I used to have the same set up but the hire of the oxygen cylinder became so expensive that the few times it was used did not justify the annual bottle rental, so I threw it away.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    it sounds more like it was the oxygen cylinder that blew.
                    Nah, the LPG cylinder was very clearly blown out, not in. Peeled it open down the welded seam. Very clearly the result of an explosive mixture inside the cyclinder igniting. It had just been refilled. The two big gas suppliers denied all knowledge of filling the bottle.
                    Since my brother-in-law helped the old bloke take it down for refilling, we know exactly which company is staffed by lying SOB's.
                    When they ring up trying to sell me a gas supply contract, I take great pleasure in telling them to FO.

All I can say is, be very careful with combustible gases.

Fit flashback arrestors, though they weren't any help this time around.
                    Never lay a cylinder down, as liquid gas (or in the case of an acetylene bottle - the acetone) flowing into a regulator can stuff it.
                    Never run outside the pressure range for acetylene - it can spontaneously decompose, doesn't need oxygen at all.
                    Good hoses and seals, etc.
                    Better yet, get a TIG welder and a plasma cutter and have no oxy acteylene on the property.
                    Last edited by wotavidone; 02-11-2014, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Damn thats horrible, I'm sorry to hear that. Ive got a LPG tank propane torch from harbor freight. Are you saying to not use that thing?
                      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Working...
                      X