Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building A Better Fire

Thanks ^ ill try it when im able to fire the oven
    Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
      Apart from 42 being the answer to life, the universe, and everything, (proving that there is something fundamentally wrong with the universe, apologies to Douglas Adams), I don't quite get what you mean.

However, I believe cobblerdave uses palm fronds to heat his oven.
      Apparently this is a free resource that would otherwise present a disposal problem.

It doesn't take a lot of wood to heat my 30 inch to white. One day I'll cut a wheelbarrow full of wood and see how much I have left after a decent pizza party.

I suggest it won't really take a lot of expensive wood to heat any oven.
      The thing is, while I like to use low ash timber, I also find my oven heats better if I use thin sticks to get a nice raging fire going. This means I commonly find myself picking up the thin branches of redgum that the serious firewood collectors leave behind.

I re-read your post and you indicated that you get a "raging fire going." you might try a lower level fire. I use a fire that goes up no higher the 3/4 of the way up the wall.

I found that a bigger fire is not hotter, only more BTU's up the chimney. Try an experiment and use a fishing weight scale to weigh out your fuel in 5 kilo piles (type of fuel not relevent). Then build a smaller fire and let it burn longer. I find that 5 kilos takes about 20 min to consume as you gradually add fuel. This gives you time to sip a little more beer and even smoke a nice cigar while giving all the appearance of working.

It is my experience that since the fire is not hotter, than it is the amount of time the heat is exposed to the brick that gets a nice even hot oven.

Comment

To WOMBAT:

This your question-

What I use is Doug fir.
        ---End Quote---
        Typo ??? Thought it would stink up the place....

Dog Fur that is

PS....
        Sorry... my first post on this board....
        And my really strange sense of humor

Try posting a reply instead of quick reply - that way everyone can see it and respond. I am no expert and when you post it online you get the benefit of the hundreds that are expert or have at least felt your pain.

Answer: Doug Fir is short for Douglas Fir. It is a medium soft wood that grows tall in the North American west. It is more dense than pine and does not have sap, It is the principle material used as building lumber. Most American homes that are "stick" (wood) constructed use Doug Fir as the structural material - you can find it common in (inches) 2x4 2x6 2x8 4x4 4x6 and 4x8.

It does does not have a bad smell but it is a little acrid. Not great for cooking. The BTU is less than oak but more than pine. Best size is a 2x4 split to 2x2 or smaller - around 18in long.

I use any non toxic wood I can find to heat the oven up. If I only had eucalyptus, I would use it gladly, very heavy and burns hot. I use it also.

Comment

Originally posted by Wambat View Post
          Typo ??? Thought it would stink up the place....

Dog Fur that is

PS....
          Sorry... my first post on this board....
          And my really strange sense of humor
          I found your post at last. It just popped up on my email and I could not find it in the thread - I thought you had used quick post and it went somewhere else. I dont know why it took 2 days for it to show up in my mail.

Comment

Originally posted by navyintel View Post
            I dont know why it took 2 days for it to show up in my mail.
            I think the moderator vets postings by new users, so it took a little while to appear.
            Talking about vets ..... oh .. doesn't matter ......

Comment

Originally posted by Wambat View Post
              I think the moderator vets postings by new users, so it took a little while to appear.
              Talking about vets ..... oh .. doesn't matter ......
              Gudday Wambat
              Check out the Aust section, you have a fellow SA called dodgygrog just starting out same as yourself.
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

For those reading about building a better fire, take a look at the tools forum and look at the "Rooker" that I built. I would appreciate comments on this as well. Not so many people are looking at the tools - I think they think it for tools to build you oven, and maybe it is. Oh well. I have not used it yet and I have not attached a handle to the second rooker that will be for close in work where a long handle will get in the way. Once I had all of the materials, it took be less than 1/2 to make the tool.

Comment

G'day
                  I saw your new/old tool, and I was taken by the shape. I thought different!, that shapes got me in. It's an old design, so does that serve a purpose, is it something developed to that shape over time? I was also struck by how shallow it was my own aluminium rake is twice as high and half as wide.
                  Decided at that time I was keeping an open mind to this design and see what you posted when you used it. So I'm still interested in how it proves in service. I'm not even going to hazard a quess.
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                    G'day
                    I saw your new/old tool, and I was taken by the shape. I thought different!, that shapes got me in. It's an old design, so does that serve a purpose, is it something developed to that shape over time? I was also struck by how shallow it was my own aluminium rake is twice as high and half as wide.
                    Decided at that time I was keeping an open mind to this design and see what you posted when you used it. So I'm still interested in how it proves in service. I'm not even going to hazard a quess.
                    Regards dave
                    Well, I tried it today and put an hour of fire in the oven. Sole purpose was to put the tool through it paces.

I found that the unusual shape has a specific purpose - since the offset is doubled over (the u-shaped portion) and thus has more than twice the weight as its offset - it counter balances the blade so the tool does not twist in your hands. Also, it adds weight to the end of the tool which helps hold it down when plowing through heavier ashes and coals.

I also found that the blade tip reaches into all corners of the oven and is reversible by flipping it over.

Some of the tools I make are one offs and never see use again in their current form. I love to experiment.

In this case I think I have a winner. I am posting a picture from the original plate from the 1730's - I hope that it is readable in it format and size.

Thank you Dave for your interest and comments. It helps alot

Comment

I once weighed my wood pile before and after firing and found it used 4kg of wood to clear the dome. This took one and a half hours and the thermometer situated halfway up the dome wall was showing 350C. The mass of the wood used is a better measure than volume as it is the weight that determines how much energy the wood contains.I should mention that my oven is only 540mm (21") diam. So the chamber volume is small. A 20% increase in diam means around a 70% increase in volume. Fuel consumption generally is directly related to chamber volume.

Regarding the amount of fuel in the chamber at any one time, it is better not to overload the chamber as this results in a rich atmosphere which is not so efficient. It's a bit like a car engine running on an over rich mixture. When firing kilns an over rich mixture is sometimes used for certain effects and is called a reducing atmosphere. When changing from an oxidation atmosphere to a reducing one the kiln usually stops rising in temperature and sometimes the temperature actually drops, although more fuel is going in. Attempting to control the atmosphere in a WFO is difficult because the gases from the fuel are released progressively, but it does mean that less is more and the loading of the fuel is somewhat counterintuitive. Too much fuel will not lead to a faster temperature rise or hotter fire.
                      Last edited by david s; 02-09-2014, 12:37 AM. Reason: spelling again
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                        I once weighed my wood pile before and after firing and found it used 4kg of wood to clear the dome. This took one and a half hours and the thermometer situated halfway up the dome wall was showing 350C. The mass of the wood used is a better measure than volume as it is the weight that determines how much energy the wood contains.I should mention that my oven is only 540mm (21") diam. So the chamber volume is small. A 20% increase in diam means around a 70% increase in volume and the fuel consumption is directly related to fuel consumption.
                        Great comment -I Agee, I use about 10 Kilos to get the oven to fully clear. This takes one hour. As to the mass of the wood, a review of the BTU output per cord of wood of different types of wood is dramatic, but when you look at the BTU output based on weight, the difference is very little.

That is why if I am buying wood I look at the cost per kilo not for the volume.

Comment

There are plenty of variables but good well cured hardwood takes some beating. Rural in my part of the world just means that you need a chainsaw and a way to get it home.

Once you find out what burns smoke free and what to leave where you find it is all good.
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I have a great way of starting the fire. I'd love to share it, but it involves flammable liquid, and unfortunately I can just about guarantee that some dumbass will try it with petrol instead of turps.

Comment

No liquid anything for me. Just twigs, kindling and small logs to get the fire started. Then build the fire with progressively larger wood.

jon
                              jon

Comment

G'day
                                Couple of pieces of Charcoal soaked with teaspoon of metho spirit (Dentured alcohol) makes a great firestarter . No petrol smell either.
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once

My Build
                                My Door

Comment

Working...
                                X