Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinions on Eucalyptus

Thanks for the input, Bill.

I picked up a load of wood off Craigslist last week, not knowing what kind it was. When I got it home, I found it to be smooth-looking like Eucalyptus, heavy like Eucalyptus, and very, very dense, like Eucalyptus. It was a a lot of work to split it, but when I put it in the oven, it burned really hot for a long time, like Eucalyptus.

I have a fair amount of red oak that was collected by my brother somewhere near Camarillo a few years ago, and after that last burn, if it truly is Eucalyptus, I think I like it better than oak. I will be on the lookout for this kind of wood.

John

Comment

Sounds like Euc. One of the big problems with Eucalyptus is that the stuff is EXTREMELY tough to split when it is seasoned. From what I've heard, it splits just fine when wet, but once seasoned is very difficult to do.

Bill

Comment

From what I've heard, it splits just fine when wet
        That is true. I was given carte blanch to a fresh-cut Euc three miles from my house and managed to load/unload about 40 sections. They had been sitting in the rain for a few days, so may have soaked up some additional water. It took two separate loads because these things were really heavy!

It took awhile to figure out how to split it, but as long as the logs aren't longer than 12-14" and you don't fight the wood, it splits just fine. I am amazed at how heavy, dense, and stringy this wood is. It does smell incredibly good. The few aged Euc logs I picked up a few weeks ago were impossible to split.

Its raining cats and dogs right now, but hopefully these splits will dry out in a month or two. This stack is about half of the logs I was able to pick up.

Comment

I use Eucalyptus almost exclusively some are straight grained and split well and others very tight and curly and almost impossible to split I cut a max length of 12 inches, I split with an axe wedge and sledge hammer

Comment

I split mine using my son.

He has taken to splitting as a fitness routine. He destroyed 2 block splitter s lucky bunnings replaced so I picked up a fiskars, and he says much easier.

If it don't split cut in half with a chainsaw you will then be able to split it...
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
              I split mine using my son.

He has taken to splitting as a fitness routine. He destroyed 2 block splitter s lucky bunnings replaced so I picked up a fiskars, and he says much easier.

If it don't split cut in half with a chainsaw you will then be able to split it...
              Ha Ha I would stick with the son loud groning noises aside they take a lot or wearing out. On the eucalyptus I look at those mechanical splitters and wonder how they would like Australian hardwoods... Not much is my guess

Comment

So now I'm at the tail end of hand-splitting about 50 rounds of fresh euc and am wondering: was it smart to remove the soft, sponge-like bark that envelopes the tree? It's green and retains a lot of moisture. The reason I took the extra time to strip it was that it does act like a sponge, and I assumed the wood would dry out that much faster.

Comment

I don't think that it makes a lot of difference. The bark will pop off when it starts to dry out. It may dry a little quicker without it I expect. Depending on the season the bark can be very easy to remove or act like it is glued. It all burns though.
                  Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks Greenman. After splitting, I was surprised at how wet (dripping) the wood was directly under the bark so I laid it on the patio to dry in the sun. Even after just an hour of drying, the exterior of the wood dried out considerably. Hopefully, it'll be aged enough to burn in a month or so.

Comment

Working...
                    X