Ash Wood in WFO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash Wood in WFO?

I've been offered some ash, free-of-charge, although at this stage I have no idea of the quantity or condition.

Before accepting the offer (and no doubt cutting it into logs), I would like to know if it is considered suitable for WFO - and especially pizza - cooking.

Comments gratefully received.
    Last edited by cleverdick; 12-27-2014, 03:06 AM.

Re: Ash Wood in WFO?

It will be great, and the best part is that it's one of the few hardwoods that doesn't need to be seasoned before burning.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

That's good to know. Could turn out to be a good find!

How does the taste compare with the more well-known cooking woods?
      Last edited by cleverdick; 12-21-2014, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Typically, the time it takes to bake a pizza is not long enough for the fire/smoke to infuse any flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
          Typically, the time it takes to bake a pizza is not long enough for the fire/smoke to infuse any flavor.
          Yes, and the high heat burns up the particles for a more efficient burn. You're tasting char, not smoke.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Ash is probably the second best over here in the uk behind oak imo for our uses, as stonecutter says it can be burnt green due to its low water content about 30% green, but it will be better split and seasoned before you use it on the wfo so it keeps the smoke to a minimum when firing and it will burn better. Taste wise if your doing some fire in roasting it won't impart a bad taste so you're Ok on that front as well. My advice . . Take as much as you can!

look out for beech as well another good burner when well seasoned. Im on sycamore Atm got two trailer loads free last year when a huge tree came down in a mates field it's Ok but doesnt leave much of a coal bed.

keith
            my build,
            http://ukwoodfiredovenforum.proboards.com/thread/1209

my door,
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/...oor-21345.html

Comment

Hi CleverK-9,

Don`t confuse wood used for fuel and those fuel woods that are also favor enhancers. Just because they burn doesn`t mean they taste good. Google "wood used for smoking meat, fish, cheese", there should a very good list available.

Comment

Thanks guys for your replies.

Might try and get this collected over the next few days

Normally I use a mixture of alder and silver birch - with very good results - so I will report back as to how it compares with those.

Happy New Year folks...

Rich

Comment

Ash as the name suggests makea a lot of ash and is not a good as oak , butmore btu's than alder or birtch ..oak is the best for BTU 's but requires long seasoning , here we wait for 2 years to burn it and it still hisses. Jon Gulland , wood combustion guru and WFO owner says .. if it will burn it will do the job , you just may need more . In Italy they use budles of twigs or grape prunings .

Comment

Working...
                  X