Curing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing Question

Okay, this occurred to me a couple times and I haven't seen the answer. When do you begin the curing process? After the dome is finished but the insulation et al hasn't been done or after the oven is completely finished? It seems like people do it either way but I'm not sure.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Curing Question

I just posted on this topic on another thread.

I have been thinking it is much less stress on the brick to fire after insulation, because you do not have such a wide difference in temperature across the brick and invariably across the outside dome surface. It would be easy to take the blanket off or look under it to inspect for cracks after the cure, if you are so inclined.

I went ahead and fully insulated mine before firing. After 7 fires I do not have any cracks visible inside the dome.

Just a thought.
    Wade Lively

Comment

~nods~ Yup, you posted in the same thread that got me thinking about it again.

Thanks!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

I feel that if you are using only the insulating blanket, or bulk dry vermiculite or perlon, you could start curing once the dome is complete. However, if you are using vermiculite cement as an insulating medium, then that also must be dried out slowly.
        I am currently curing my Pompeii oven. I have finished all of the brickwork and insulation, (1" blanket and 3 x 1" vermiculite/cement layers topped with a 1/2" cement render), still yet to tile the rendered dome and install the vent and chimney and make the cast doors. Had a good sized fire in there last night, the third one in the series, and no detectable heat on the outside with the oven. It was still pleasantly warm after 10 hours of 4 to 5?C overnight temperatures.
        Planning an even bigger fire tonight in readiness for the first cook-up on Saturday. No sign of movement or cracking anywhere.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
        X