had first 2 fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• had first 2 fires

Well I did my first fire on tuesday with a newspaper and the second one today with a newspaper and a peace of wood. Had trouble getting fire to stay burning kept going out. Can you use lighter fluid to help things get going?. Do not know how hot my oven got I am waiting for my IR therm to arriive . No cracks so far but the oven never seem to hot I could put my hand in and move the fire around with a stick. Getting fire going is harder than it looks. I have lot's of ? I have a Casa 90 when do I use the door? Is it better to use a stone in the oven to cook pizza or use the oven floor. I know I use a live fire for baking pizza how about bread? How big are the pizza most people make? How long does it take to bake a pizza and what is the best way to know if it is done? How many fires and at what temp will it take to start getting whitting of my dome I only have black after two fires. About how much wood would I use to get my oven up to pizza temp and cook about 6 to 9 pizza? Sorry for all the questions but I will be asking more so you guys are stuck with me for awhile. I will post some pictures when I can get my 13 year old daughter to show me how.

Re: had first 2 fires

Most of these questions have been answered throughout this forum.

Just keep reading till you feel comfortable with everything.

And I would sure like to see those pics!
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Hi Doug,

As Dave mentioned, the Forum is loaded with a wealth of info. The first 3 "sticky" posts in the "Firing Your Oven" board should answer your questions about starting a fire and curing.

This will get you started:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...uring-767.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...-fire-488.html

Be sure to post those pictures!

Ken
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

As the others have mentioned.....its all here.
        As I have told others - when your eyes begin bugging out of your head from reading all of the posts and instructions, you have reached the point you can begin applying what you've learned.
        Don't rush the process...especially the curring fires. Good Luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by dougecs View Post
          Getting fire going is harder than it looks..
          So, yes, there's lots of information here to answer these questions, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Be sure your wood is really dry (seasoned) and start with small pieces of newspaper and kindling to get it started. It also helps to start the fire under the chimney to help the draw, then start a larger fire in the oven. Take your time and really cure the oven well before you push it with bigger fires.

I know I use a live fire for baking pizza how about bread? .
          Usually the fire taken out (coals raked out) for bread, then let the oven drop a little in temp and moderate (here's where you use the door).

How big are the pizza most people make? .
          I use 280 - 330 grams of dough per pizza, this stretches to 12-14 inches.

How long does it take to bake a pizza and what is the best way to know if it is done? .
          2-3 minutes - keep a close eye on it, it will be done when it looks done! There's a little learning cureve with using it for pizza, but this means you get plenty of opportunity to blow yourself away with pizza that is better than the last one you made. About a year into this I still regularly marvel at how much better I can make it. And no, you don't need a stone, your oven floor is better than a stone.

How many fires and at what temp will it take to start getting whitting of my dome I only have black after two fires. .
          The dome whitens at the end of the curing cycle, take your time, it may even be a 3-4 fires after completing curing before you completely clean the dome. It will be black for the bulk of your curing fires. The temp varies depending on where you check temp and how long it takes to heat up, but the hearth will probably be at least 700-750 before you get full whitening.

About how much wood would I use to get my oven up to pizza temp and cook about 6 to 9 pizza?.
          Depends on the wood, different wood has different BTUs. I think I use 11-18 pieces of wood (4-5 inches thick, thinner may be better) for heating the oven and then cooking 6-9 pizza.

Sorry for all the questions but I will be asking more so you guys are stuck with me for awhile. I will post some pictures when I can get my 13 year old daughter to show me how.
          Welcome!

Comment

Hi Doug,

Also, you can download the e-books. There are separte books on wood-fired cooking (and oven management), pizza and bread. They are free, and you can download them through the FB Store. Or, you can send me an email (james [at] fornobravo.com) and I can send them to you.

Like of a lot of FB-things, they are full of good information -- and they might be the most direct way to get started with firing and using your oven.

Enjoy!
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
            X