Rain and wood storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain and wood storage

Living in a tropical country, rain is a constant part of our weather. Does anyone have experience on dealing with a lot of rain (5 to 6 months of the year) and storing wood? Do you have to build an enclosed shed to keep it dry?

Am at the point of planning the oven so I want to figure out all the construction I need to do at the beginning.

I was thinking maybe some of you guys on the Pacific Northwest (Washington State) might have a lot of experience with damp weather and wood.

Thanks

Re: Rain and wood storage

What i have found out so far is that air curculation is very important. Keep the bottom of the pile off of the wet ground and if you cover the pile with a tarp dont let it touch the wood at the top of pile and leave a good foot or so at the bottom of pile so the tarp is off the ground letting the air circulate. Hope this helps...seems like there is a lot of advise on the internet and some of it is conflicting, I myself I am just for the first time staring to season my wood.....wayne
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Your oven progress pictures look really great!

Comment

Depending on how you plan to build your stand, concrete blocks (cmu) are very porous and allow water penetration if they are not sealed... stucco, Dry-Lok, brick, stone veneer, etc.

Comment

Wayne's correct about keeping the wood exposed to air movement/wind. Most of the websites I've read say not to use a tarp completely over the wood, as it keeps the moisture of the wood from evaporating, or at least slows it down. Sound's like the partial covering that Wayne uses works pretty well.

I keep mine in my garage, which may not work in your case. For a quick fix, few pieces of scavanged corregated metal roofing should work really well just laid across the top of your stacked wood.

Your tropical rains may bring even more rain than we see in the NW. A permanent structure would probably be the ultimate solution.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
          X