Curing, Cracks & Other Kentucky Conundrums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Curing, Cracks & Other Kentucky Conundrums

Dave, classic you would be the one to find that.
    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Ken, looks like you have been "outed" by Dave. I laughed like hell reading Ken's Deep Dish Pizza recipe. The 2 tbls of flour almost seems excessive for an Easy Bake.....course it is a deep dish

On a serious note, is the repair still holding? Dude, we've all busted our butts on these ovens, I think I would actually have some sort of breakdown if I encountered either yours or Dave's problems.
      As many have said, oven building is not an exact science and is open to much personalization while still being fuctional...very cool, but for most of us our ideas were unproven. Following your progress I would never have thought you would have a problem, really a great job.

Thanks for keeping this fun guys.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
        Easy Bake Oven Recipes
        Yes, it's official. Everything is now on the internet!

Sorry to disappoint; the teeny-tiny pizza isn't mine. I make my quickie pizza's out of English Muffins and Ragu
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Now that the confessional is open. I've done the English muffin/Pizza Quick Sauce thing....as well as hamburger buns, kaiser rolls, french bread...you get the idea. Isn't that what they make toaster ovens for? Desperate times (3-4am snack on a sleepless night) call for desperate measures. Sometimes I think I am pregnant (cravings), but last I checked that was still physically impossible.
          Where is Dave? He seems the type that can top us all on improvising to fill a void in his stomach.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
            On a serious note, is the repair still holding?
            Thanks for asking RT... I did one really hot fire yesterday and everything looks good. A hairline crack formed in the joint next to the one I repaired but it didn't open up. I'll mortar a split above that joint for extra support and I think it will be ok.

I think I would actually have some sort of breakdown if I encountered either yours or Dave's problems.
            I wasn't exactly the smooth operator I presented myself as here on the forum (ask my wife) . I think I went through the 5 Stages of grief after I found the crack...

1. Denial: The initial stage: "It can't be happening."
            2. Anger: "Why ME? It's not fair!"
            3. Bargaining: "I promise to always use Caputo... Just let my arch be OK!"
            4. Depression: "Might as well rent a bulldozer and get rid of it"
            5. Acceptance: "It's going to be OK."

I'm on #5 now - Dave, what stage are you at?.

Following your progress I would never have thought you would have a problem, really a great job.
            Thanks, that's really nice. I appreciate the support and encouragement.
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
              Where is Dave? He seems the type that can top us all on improvising to fill a void in his stomach.
              Oh that's funny. I just spit coffee on my keyboard reading that.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Comment

What is it, 6 kids AND a passion for pizza/food??? He has to have a few good food stories to tell. I think I just came up with the inspiration for his next thread. Should be a joy to read.

Comment

...who would have thought that a thread with htis subject would turn out to be one of the funniest ones on the whole forum?
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

well..

when I first saw the brick slipping....
                    I was like holy %^%&& , gosh $%^%$, what the #@$^%@$#

Anger... disappointment...
                    Sadness.

Overall....... despair.

All the hard work ---- for not.
                    The next day I went outside, and the brick had fallen.
                    more depression...
                    Thank Goodness for Paxil.
                    Anyways... Once I came to terms with my defunct ex-badWFO. I set off on a journey. A journey of enlightenment. I traveled far and wide. To all reaches of the globe. A quest.. "A how to fix my broken arch" quest. I ended my quest here. With my fellow WFO'ers. My questions were answered. My thoughts cleared, and a new sense of determination filled me.

This weekend I shall repair my WFO, and recreate that badWFO I once had.

As you were.

Dave
                    My thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                    My costs:
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                    My pics:
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I've read that "fallen arches" can be quite painfull and that 5% of the adult population are sufferers. Dave and Ken are the first 2 I have ever known.
                      I know a good orthopedist and podiatrist if you guys are interested. I think it would be quite entertaining to walk in carrying your "fallen arch" brick and photos of you oven, begging for relief from the pain and anguish.

I wonder if your health care insurance would cover it, provided you meet your copay and deductable.

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
                        Here' a link for yins! It's Ken's deep dish easybake pizza.
                        <snip>
                        Notice the 2 tbls of flour.
                        And on top of everything else, it bakes for 20 minutes. I don't think the family will wait that long.

J W

Comment

Re: Curing, Cracks &amp; Other Kentucky Conundrums

Originally posted by jwnorris View Post
                          And on top of everything else, it bakes for 20 minutes. I don't think the family will wait that long.

I think a little rewiring, a few dozen Halogens, 220volt plug.

90 second pizza sounds doable.

although the plastic oven might be worse for wear....
                          My thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                          My costs:
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                          My pics:
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Earlier in the week I added some window screening around the oven and poured in about 6 bags of loose vermiculite. Still need 2 more bags. Hopefully this weekend.

I had the opportunity to fire the oven again this morning. I was able to get about 95% of the dome clean. Concrete under the hearth was still cool after about 2 hours; so I think I'm fine there.

A small chunk of mortar fell out of a joint on my inner arch - about the same place where Dave's brick fell (our ovens must be psychically connected ). The next 2-3 days will be above freezing so tomorrow I'll grind out the joint a bit and remortar. I have one or two other spots with hairlines in the arch that I may also grind and mortar.

The good news... once the dome went completely white, I was able to get a really good look at all the joints. Not a crack to be found anywhere on the dome. I guess my oven just chose the arches to kick up a fuss.
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Comment

Sounds like you might be alright now Ken. I'd just keep firing that thing up blazing and watch your crack (Hmmmmm - that doesn't sound PC) to see if it gets any worse. Once you've had 6 or 7 good hot fires in there, I think you will know if you need further repairs or not.

Just so you don't feel too bad, I thought everything was kosher with my oven. I've been preparing to pour a landing in front of the entryway and as I was cleaning up, I noticed that a couple of floor bricks had moved outward inside the entryway. I've got some 1/8" gaps between a few of them. I tried to tap them back into place and only succeeded in chipping a couple of the bricks. I just took some brick dust an filled in the gaps as best I could.

I'm proceeding with my landing pour tomorrow, which I think will stop further movement of the floor bricks. We'll see........

Anyway, hope your repairs work.
                              G.
                              GJBingham
                              -----------------------------------
                              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George,

Be sure to take pics! Good luck with the landing.
                                Ken H. - Kentucky
                                42" Pompeii

Comment

Working...
                                X