methol hydrate ok in oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• methol hydrate ok in oven?

I have been starting my fires in my house wood burner with chainsaw shavings soaked in kerosene. I dont want to use this nasty smelling stuff of course in my pizza oven. I was wondering if methol hydrate would be ok. I tested it today and its nice and flamable but not sure if its toxic when ignited.
    I will be burning fir and arbutus mostly and like the idea of having something like what I use in the house for the ease of llighting the fire.
    Any thoughts out there....wayne
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Re: methol hydrate ok in oven?

I would say no, I am not an advocate of using any kind of accelerant in such an enclosed space (WFO). Maybe one of our resident pyromaniacs can decypher what I found in the attached link. It mentions that wood alcohol (methyl hydrate - methanol) can be quite explosive.....thats more than enough reason for me not to try it.

Fire & Explosions in the Canadian Upstream Oil & Gas Industry - Identifying Fire & Explosion Hazards - Fuel Sources

Comment

Re: methol hydrate ok in oven?

Fir is a resinous wood, and if split fairly finely should burn like kerosine by it's self. I know some people use gas burners, or parafin fire starters, but I'm a paper and kindling kind of guy.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
      X