Curing strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Curing strategy

I checked my oven thermeter in our kitchen oven and it's reading correctly. I have it in the WFO, close to the front entry and it reads about 150. The IR gun has the floor and the back wall about 225 and the dome about 350-400. 350 is the goal for day 2 so I've decided the dome temp will be my control point. I really don't want to overfire it this soon, however if the target is let's say the back wall, then I may have to extend the number of days.
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Comment

If RC has different location readings, should he go to the highest reading, then be sure that spot througout curing does not exceed that days requirement? He has one spot at 400 but should be at 350. Does this mean he is exceeding the oven temp?

I would then look at all temps, find the highest temp point, then use that as my guide for curing. Is this correct James?
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

RC,

I think you are within the right zone. You will always get different temperatures at this stage, with the fire hitting the top of the dome; the back hotter than near the opening, etc. Just keep it there for as long as you can today, and again tomorrow.

10+ hours if possible, then close the door when you are done for the evening.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Great. So we do 10 hour burns at a maintained temp. RC, get some beers and have fun. Don't forget some food to cook in there.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
            Great. So we do 10 hour burns at a maintained temp. RC, get some beers and have fun. Don't forget some food to cook in there.
            Way ahead of you on that one. Every time I add a log or adjust the logs and the flame starts the dome gets in the low 400s but mostly I'm at 375. I haven't used nearly as much wood as yesterday.
            RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

I did my curring fires under the old formula - 200,300,400 and so on for 7 days; only just reaching those temps, then letting the fires burn out. I used my IR and only measured dome surface temps. After the first couple of fires I sort of deviated and made the fires more spread out on the hearth after noticing only the dome peak was getting near the desired temp. I think the new formula should be a much more thorough process.

RT

Comment

Lake, am I right in thinking you're the first forum member to try this new curing technique? I think that should be worth a BOTM nomination, too...
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Frances, are you running for some political office? Sounds like you are throwing BOM slips like they are candy Hey, I made mac and cheese last night, can we nominate it? Kidding Frances.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                    Lake, am I right in thinking you're the first forum member to try this new curing technique? I think that should be worth a BOTM nomination, too...
                    Nah, I'm just a guina pig. I do enjoy having the fire going all day, I wouldn't have enjoyed the old method at all.
                    It's starting to rain, so no fire today.
                    RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

James et al,

I doubt any of us could wait this long but how long would it take an oven to "dry out" on it's own? I know we are supposed to wait 7 days before we start curing. Just curious.
                      Our temps in Cincy are below normal. Once we get a little warmer I can pour my hearth/insulated hearth and start the build!

Thanks
                      Dick
                      thebadger

Comment

Badger, do you have air temps that go to 700? On a progressive state? The reason for progressive temps is that no air temps get to the first level of burn temps for any duration, old school or new school. The thing is the mortar and moisture. You need to cure it. Old ways would still do progressive burns before going full throttle. There is no way to get full cure without curing.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Acoma,

Good to know. I was just curious. I thougth if you didn't cure it could dry out naturally but I see what you're saying.

I'm just hoping I can wait the 7 days .

Anything else you would recommend to keep the dome from cracking? I was planning on keeping my mortar/bricks moist.

Thanks
                          Dick

Comment

Hey Badger,
                            Isn't that an Otter on your avatar? If you had Flounder too, you could have an Animal House.
                            GJBingham
                            -----------------------------------
                            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                              Frances, are you running for some political office? Sounds like you are throwing BOM slips like they are candy Hey, I made mac and cheese last night, can we nominate it? Kidding Frances.
                              Can't let this one go... made me laugh! OK, I'll nominate your mac and cheese if you post it!

Thing is though, while most of us will never actually win the BOTM thing, its still nice to be nominated in recognition for your work, and if anyone thinks you're good enough to vote for even better. I know I was really chuffed! The more nominations the better, and it makes for a more interesting vote, too.

Maybe its a different approach to voting in general: in Switzerland we have about seven political parties, and five of them get to rule the country together. So voting is not so much about winning or loosing, but about how many percentages you get...

I'm not saying this is better or worse than anything else, but its probably another reason for my nomination mania
                              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

George,

Glad somebody noticed...

It's a play on words - a nickname from my shooting buddies when someone mis pronounced my name at state match.

I told them a Badger was a ferocious creature with sharp teeth. My buddies "insisted" that a Badger was a chubby, hairy creature that swam on his back munching on food all day

Dick

Comment

Working...
                                X