Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curing strategy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • david s
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    Potters fire their kilns slowly to avoid stress on both the kiln and the wares. For a biscuit firing (unfired wares) the schedule should not exceed 100 C/hr We go much faster than that. Water continues to be expelled up to 500 C as mechanical water and chemical water.

    Leave a comment:


  • Xabia Jim
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    But it's the Italians that started this new cure recommencation 3 months ago!

    When this is all said and done, and there has been some good experience and recommendations by recent builders, maybe James can post a new curing sticky from what's been learned.

    Two questions I have?? Is it bad to let a log smolder in the oven all night or use some other device to maintain the heat level before kicking up to the next temperatures? and,

    Should the oven be allowed to cool down to ambient temperatures (how many times?) before you go for a very hot fire?

    This masonry ovenwork goes through this high range of temperature from below 0 to over 1000 C, many, many times.
    STRESS Almost like the stress put on the new builder doing curing fires!!!!
    Last edited by Xabia Jim; 03-20-2008, 12:22 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Inishta
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    If the Italians don't know about curing ovens by now we're in trouble............

    Leave a comment:


  • dusty
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    Originally posted by james View Post
    Robert,

    I want to say thanks for how well you have documented your oven and processes, and how you have approached the project. Your postings will be incredibly useful for other builders for years to come.

    Well done.
    James
    James,
    You've got the nack. No wonder this forum is the special place it is.
    I'm glad I'm in CA 'cause I'm sure that our paths will someday cross. I spend lots of time in La Selva Beach. Going to look you up someday.

    KPIG?

    dusty

    Leave a comment:


  • james
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    Robert,

    I want to say thanks for how well you have documented your oven and processes, and how you have approached the project. Your postings will be incredibly useful for other builders for years to come.

    Well done.
    James

    Leave a comment:


  • Acoma
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    I believe that the new method is a successful route. Using the inside keystone area for temp guidence seems best. I notices 50-100 degree difference between walls and dome, and approx. 150 degree difference to the floors. The floor bricks don't matter since they don't have mortart to bond the bricks together. I finished day 2, and now I prepare for Day 3 tomorrow at 500 degree. Likely I will use my standard range of 50-75 degree below, up to the max requested. Works very good going this route, and allows you to step away from time to (limited) time. And so far, NO CRACKS. Also, I would not recommend using a log holder during the curing process, being that it will allow the wood to heat up too quickly, be extremely difficult to manage and spreading of wood/ coals. I would agree to its usage- post cure.
    Last edited by Acoma; 03-19-2008, 07:19 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • RCLake
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    Originally posted by gjbingham View Post

    I'm interested to see how this new curing strategy works out. It sounds laborious, but then again, so is building an oven.
    I'm enjoying it a lot more than I would be starting a fire getting to a set temp and then letting it die. During the day I've been sticking my head in , checking temps and adding wood. A refreshing break from other items I'm doing. I built a WFO to burn wood and finally it's burning wood.

    Leave a comment:


  • gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    Badger,
    I noticed it several days ago, but let it go. I'm trying not to step on toes too often - be a little PC once in awhile. Good story to go with the avatar!

    I'm interested to see how this new curing strategy works out. It sounds laborious, but then again, so is building an oven.

    Leave a comment:


  • Acoma
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    Badger, I hope you have the time to cure using the new method. I would say to place the blanket on top in a temporary form during the fires too. My thinking is that, as James has said in his own words, you get to push out the mortar faster and better than the old way. It seems the old way teased the mortar and bricks into quick expansions and contractions during initial heats. This likely caused the numerous cracks to ovens during curing. With the blanket the oven keeps the heat with the oven longer and asist with drawing out moisture longer and better. This is my opinion and will be tested within a couple weeks. I will update everyone on this principle too.

    Frances, I knew you would laugh. As for the BOM, you hit it on the head. It is to recognize the builders, and of course that should be what matters most. We all love to be recognized in some way.

    Leave a comment:


  • thebadger
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    George,

    Glad somebody noticed...

    It's a play on words - a nickname from my shooting buddies when someone mis pronounced my name at state match.

    I told them a Badger was a ferocious creature with sharp teeth. My buddies "insisted" that a Badger was a chubby, hairy creature that swam on his back munching on food all day

    Dick

    Leave a comment:


  • Frances
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Frances, are you running for some political office? Sounds like you are throwing BOM slips like they are candy Hey, I made mac and cheese last night, can we nominate it? Kidding Frances.
    Can't let this one go... made me laugh! OK, I'll nominate your mac and cheese if you post it!

    Thing is though, while most of us will never actually win the BOTM thing, its still nice to be nominated in recognition for your work, and if anyone thinks you're good enough to vote for even better. I know I was really chuffed! The more nominations the better, and it makes for a more interesting vote, too.

    Maybe its a different approach to voting in general: in Switzerland we have about seven political parties, and five of them get to rule the country together. So voting is not so much about winning or loosing, but about how many percentages you get...

    I'm not saying this is better or worse than anything else, but its probably another reason for my nomination mania

    Leave a comment:


  • gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    Hey Badger,
    Isn't that an Otter on your avatar? If you had Flounder too, you could have an Animal House.

    Leave a comment:


  • thebadger
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    Acoma,

    Good to know. I was just curious. I thougth if you didn't cure it could dry out naturally but I see what you're saying.

    I'm just hoping I can wait the 7 days .

    Anything else you would recommend to keep the dome from cracking? I was planning on keeping my mortar/bricks moist.

    Thanks
    Dick

    Leave a comment:


  • Acoma
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    Badger, do you have air temps that go to 700? On a progressive state? The reason for progressive temps is that no air temps get to the first level of burn temps for any duration, old school or new school. The thing is the mortar and moisture. You need to cure it. Old ways would still do progressive burns before going full throttle. There is no way to get full cure without curing.

    Leave a comment:


  • thebadger
    replied
    Re: Curing strategy

    James et al,

    I doubt any of us could wait this long but how long would it take an oven to "dry out" on it's own? I know we are supposed to wait 7 days before we start curing. Just curious.
    Our temps in Cincy are below normal. Once we get a little warmer I can pour my hearth/insulated hearth and start the build!

    Thanks
    Dick
    thebadger

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X