Curing Oven Crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing Oven Crack

I am in day 5 of curing my oven. I have heard of people getting hairline cracks on their dome during the curing process. So, could someone please take a look at my pic and tell me if this is a typical crack or something I really need to worry about? If it something I need to worry about, then please provide some advice.

Thanks,
    Greg

Many folk get cracks lie this during the curing fires. I prefer to do the fires after insulating the oven so the dome will heat up more evenly. But they say there are two kinds of ovens, those with cracks and those with owners who lie about their ovens having no cracks. Judging from your pics the crack is not too serious, I'd be insulating over it and keep using it. The dome will not collapse.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David!
      I really wanted to make sure "this one" didn't explode on me. The one pictured below was my first, a "Home Brew" cast-able. She turned out sweet but I believe that I put the HEAT to her too soon and she didn't handle it very well.
      So, I then decided to make the second one out of FB because I thought it would hold up better.
      I really want to cook in the "New One" at least once before I insulated her.
      Do you think that will be Ok?

Thanks,
      Greg

Comment

You must drive the water out slowly. Remember that one litre of water creates over 1600 litres of steam and if this happens suddenly you get steam spalling. Read the whole of the curing thread to get a better understanding.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X