When can I Cure oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can I Cure oven?

I finished the dome 7 days ago and tomorrow I am applying the finishing coat of stucco. When can I cure the oven after finishing the stucco? I made an igloo pizza oven. Can I cure the pizza oven if it's raining. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think most would have recommend curing the oven before applying the stucco... as the firebrick is going to steam as you cure it. I would cover the oven up from the rain, and get it completely cured before you seal the stucco. Otherwise where is all that moisture going to go?
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

You don't say whether the oven is a newly finished brick oven, cast factory built or cast home built. All of which have some different requirements re purging the thing of the moisture content. Also the type of insulation use and water added to that layer are also factors. Have you considered how this moisture will escape now you've done the outer shell?
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The oven is a brick oven, 3 inches insulation. I started the curing fires today at 200. After the first reply I got on my post I did not put the finishing coat or seal on. I am hoping it works.

Comment

The usual is 7 fires in 7 days getting progressively bigger and longer. If your insulation layer is verm/ perlcrete there will be lots more water to eliminate. When you think it's dry throw some sheet plastic over it when firing. If it condenses under the plastic then it's not dry. Better to wait until it's dry before doing the stucco layer. Use the oven for some baking or roasting in the meantime an keep the rain off it.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Last eight days I cured the oven following the directions on forno bravo. Good news is there was no cracking. I did the curing with the scratch coat of stucco on. I hired someone to put the finishing coat on today and will wait three weeks to put the seal on. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Comment

Working...
            X