Vacuum Ash? Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum Ash? Yay or Nay?

I wanted to ask some of the more senior members of the forum if they vacuum their ovens or not. Pros? Cons?

I never have. I use the rooker (oven rake) and a metal dust pan to remove the ashes while the oven is hot. I don't even see the need to brush the floor. I just slap the aluminum peel against the floor a few times and the draft carries the fine ash up the flue

Edit: That tip was given to mea by a "senior member" (Karangi Dude) .
    Last edited by Gulf; 12-31-2015, 09:17 AM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Although I have used the peel slap method from Karangi Dude as well, I prefer to use my oven brush to push the fire/coals off to the side first for pizza or into my ash bucket for bread bakes. (I only have a smaller head metal banjo peel for turning pizza and I don't like to whack my hearth with my heavy wood "delivery" peel .) After the initial brush/push of active fire/coals, I take my copper blow pipe and simply blow the ash off the cooking surface area. As Joe noted above, the draft carries that fine ash up the flue.

Both methods work well and frankly a little ash won't hurt you or the pizza or the bread...in fact there are some really good Italian Pecorino cheeses that are coated with ash for the final curing & added flavoring process of the cheese rounds.
      Last edited by SableSprings; 12-31-2015, 12:18 PM.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I also use the peel slap to remove ash. I also have used a blow pipe and mopped with a dish rag tied to my blow pipe. I have not seen the benefits of a vacuum.

Randy

Comment

Plus 1 on the last 2.

I would just like to add this. To me, the only time it would be even remotely safe to vacuum an oven, is when it has cooled. A cold oven is useless. So, now it is time to fire her back up and make more ash . To think about vacuuming is kind of a catch-22 for me .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Ash is really hard on your vac.. it clogs up your filter and if it get's through affects the motor and bearings ..in short ..DON"T !

Comment

Another vote for the blowpipe. I have a 3 foot piece of 3/8" SS tubing I use to blow the ash off the cooking surface. With a blow pipe you can be a little more directional on where to blow the ash since I have a lot of hot air in me LOL. When the oven in cooled, to remove the remaining ash I just use a hoe and a dust pan into a "metal" bucket. Gulf has been saving his charcoal for future burnings.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I'm also a devotee of the blowpipe. It doubles also as a poker and is useful for encouraging the flame in a concentrated spot should it die. There are two things I think are important if using a blow pipe and they are ... 1. Blow don't suck
                2. Attach a rubber end to prevent chipping a tooth

Regarding ash removal, I only clean it out after around four firings. There is usually a fair amount of unburnt fuel mixed in with the ash after a firing, particularly if you've doored the oven and consequently extinguished the fire. Both ash and charcoal are good for the compost pile. It helps balance the acidity of rotting leaves in particular and unburnt charcoal helps retain moisture and open up the soil structure.
                Last edited by david s; 01-01-2016, 06:25 PM.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well, since this thread has turned into a "blowpipe appreciation week" . I'm not against them, they work very well! I just like a model that delivers about 21% O2 instead of 16%. And, also one that doesn't leave me quite as light headed . I need all the air that I can get .
                  Last edited by Gulf; 01-02-2016, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I use the peel slap method also in addition to brushing. I was thinking about whether anyone has replaced a cooking tile/stone & whether they vacuumed prior to that or not.

Comment

For those using brushes, what kind of material are they made of? All the recent horror stories of people having metal bristles stuck in their guts has me a little concerned about using metal. I know the blow pipe is going to help, but since pizza is cooked directly on the floor picking up a nasty surprise seems likely if they are present.
                      My build thread
                      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

I have two brushes that I use for the oven. Both are made from "palmyra". One is a a shop broom and one is a wisk broom. Both were bought from my local Ace Hardware. Again, I never see the need to use a brush in a hot oven. But, if you do, they will last for several cleanings before needing replacing. Note: I doubt that even "natural fiber" is very digestible .
                        Last edited by Gulf; 01-04-2016, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Natural fiber may not be too digestible, but I'd rather try passing some than a piece of wire . Probably a little less likely to poke a hole in your innards.
                          My build thread
                          https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

I push the coals to the side and use a just damp piece of towel to clear the fine ash, it does not appear to drop the floor temp may in fact just temper it slightly

Comment

Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
                              Natural fiber may not be too digestible, but I'd rather try passing some than a piece of wire . Probably a little less likely to poke a hole in your innards.

And, the fibers will definately not survive the next firing .
                              Last edited by Gulf; 01-04-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X