Cracks during Casa 100g Curing - opinions requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracks during Casa 100g Curing - opinions requested

New member here, finished second day of curing and these dome cracks appeared. One running from middle seam toward floor and other starting from top coming down a few inches. Hired a wood oven consultant to give me pointers and he fired up the oven too much on second day (over 400 at one point). I told him to please keep it under 250 but he said it was fine. Well, hours later these cracks showed up. I read all the posts about how to cure before I started but this "expert" got a little too aggressive on second day. I am now on day 4 and everything seems fine. Can't see cracks anymore due to black soot in oven dome. What are the options of the forum members here. Oven expert said it was fine, to keep going forward. Said all ovens crack as many say here. Would like to get others opinion. Thanks, nervous new WFO owner.

PapaFranco,

Welcome to the forum. I think that your oven will be just fine. There ain't many ovens that do not have some visible cracking. I hope that, aside from the day two temp spike, that ya'll are following Forno Bravo's recommended curing schedule as much as possible. I am going to alert Tim_FB with this bump, and I hope that some Casa owners reply with their experiences.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond Gulf. I appreciate your positive outlook on the cracks. Was worried because the consultant immediately started a fire on the left side of oven and let the flames lick the dome top. I saw the temps spiking and asked him to slow down! I even see that in the curing instructions it says to not let flames touch the dome as it will cause temps to rise quickly. This was done on second day of curing and hence the cracks I suppose. If you think that they will be fine that is comforting. Just hope they dont expand, not sure if they tend to do so.
      Thanks again!

Comment

I have a casa 90 and have acquired cracks as you have described. Was wondering how your oven is since it's been about a year for you.

Comment

Curious if the cracks have caused any issues. I'm in the same boat

Comment

Hello, I am new to the forum. Just built a Casa90 with enclosure in my outdoor kitchen. We may not have followed the curing recommendations that well...I'm afraid the oven may have been heated to much too quickly. We have noted some separation of the posterior joint as well as a diagonal hairline crack on the dome concrete. Not much progression though.
            My question is what to do at this point, if anything. Do we monitor or do we have to fill from the inside?
            Thank you for your response!

Comment

Hi Anac,

I'm sure that you have read my reply in post #2 above. That same advice ,but I am going to alert Alex_FB . One of the Forno Bravo team will offer some more experienced advice for the Casa90.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hello All,
                My name is Anthony Rodriguez I am head of Forno Bravo Technical support and before that I worked in the warehouse assembling the ovens for several years . Ive Been with the company about 6 years now and my first time curing an oven was nerve wrecking !!! I was curing an oven that had already been completed for a customer so believe me when I say that I can completely relate to each and everyone of you. That said, hairline cracks are completely normal , in many cases unavoidable even if you follow procedure . However there is a difference between a dome that has been "cracked" and normal hairline cracks. The best method to determine what type of crack you have is something we like to call "the paper clip test" . Get yourself a paper clip , and when the oven is cool attempt to stick the paper clip in the crack , If you are unable to fit the paper clip into the crack then it is a normal hairline crack and will not affect the performance or safety of your oven.
                If you are able to fit a paper clip into the crack then we will want to know how far the paper clip can be pushed in , this will help us determine if the dome in cracked all the way through. You will want to contact Forno Bravo if this occurs so we can determine the integrity of the oven. Hopes this helps everyone. If not feel free to contact me directly at 800-407-5119 ext. 806 . And I would be more then happy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony_FB View Post
                  Hello All,
                  My name is Anthony Rodriguez I am head of Forno Bravo Technical support and before that I worked in the warehouse assembling the ovens for several years . Ive Been with the company about 6 years now and my first time curing an oven was nerve wrecking !!! I was curing an oven that had already been completed for a customer so believe me when I say that I can completely relate to each and everyone of you. That said, hairline cracks are completely normal , in many cases unavoidable even if you follow procedure . However there is a difference between a dome that has been "cracked" and normal hairline cracks. The best method to determine what type of crack you have is something we like to call "the paper clip test" . Get yourself a paper clip , and when the oven is cool attempt to stick the paper clip in the crack , If you are unable to fit the paper clip into the crack then it is a normal hairline crack and will not affect the performance or safety of your oven.
                  If you are able to fit a paper clip into the crack then we will want to know how far the paper clip can be pushed in , this will help us determine if the dome in cracked all the way through. You will want to contact Forno Bravo if this occurs so we can determine the integrity of the oven. Hopes this helps everyone. If not feel free to contact me directly at 800-407-5119 ext. 806 . And I would be more then happy to help.
                  Maybe it would be better to specify the gauge or diameter of the paperclip wire as they can vary from 0.5mm to 1.25mm
                  Just saying.

Comment

Irish Chippy Excellent point . We will just go with the smallest one you can find, The goal is only to determine if a dome is cracked all the way through .

Comment

Working...
                    X