Hydraulic log splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic log splitter

Even though my construction is barely started I am aquiring wood for later. I will be taking out 4 cherry and 2 apple trees this season for starters. I saw this at HFT. Has anyone used one of these ? Is it worth the effort and expense ?

TWO SPEED, 10 TON HYDRAULIC LOG SPLITTER

Quick log splitting at an affordable price. Manually operated, two speed pump builds up to 10 tons of log splitting pressure fast. Low and high speeds to accommodate various types of wood. Pump is operated by two 30'' steel handles. Includes pressure release valve. Heavy duty spring return.
    Force: 10 ton
    Bed: horizontal
    Engine: manual operation
    Shipping weight: 112 lbs.

ITEM 33956-5VGA
    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Re: Hydraulic log splitter

There seem to be two models for the same price, the illustrations seem the same except for paint color, here's the other model number:

39981-1VGA
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'm also VERY interested in this. I'm getting tired of swinging that big axe (the neighbors do seem to enjoy the show, though).

Looks like they have two very similar models at the same price.

Harbor Freight Tools - Item number=39981
      Harbor Freight Tools - Item number=33956

Any guinea pigs out there tried these yet?
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
        (the neighbors do seem to enjoy the show, though).
        ?
        Do you split with your shirt off or do they just enjoy the colorful language that you use ?

Maybe your neighbors watch for the same reason people watch car races or Jerry Springer.... to see the crashes

Bruce

Comment

99 posts....Hmmm, by my calculations I will catch up to George in the year 2087!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brokencookie View Post
            Maybe your neighbors watch for the same reason people watch car races or Jerry Springer.... to see the crashes
            Probably waiting for the blood.
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Comment

I don't know if you have split cherry before but it is a real PIA. The bark acts like barrel bands and makes the actual splitting very much harder than just about every other wood we use for heat. But it's good wood for heat, but it rots quickly so I would suggest keeping it off the ground. It's not uncommon to find downed trees that have rotted the wood away and the bark is still tight and unrotted.

As for this unit, I shop HFT and for the most part you get what you pay for, occasionally the item is worse and occassionally better. Do you have a local HFT store? You know HFT (online store) and Harbor Freight Tools USA (brick and mortar store) are two different entities right? Well if not you know now. A family rift, the father got the online store and the son got the brick and mortar or perhaps it is the other way round. Anyway, if you go to HarborFreightusa.com you can see if there are any B&M stores near you so you can see the unit before you buy.

I just got into a powered hydraulic splitter this past fall. A group of four of us on island bought a fairly heavy duty unit and we share it as needed. We helped each other build our homes and so know each other fairly well otherwise getting into a tool sharing thing can be a real headache. By banding together we could afford a better quality unit too.

The weak link I see in this unit is the hinge point where the piston of the pump articulates. Lots of strokes per round of wood. That's where the wear shows on my HFT hydraulic jack and it gets no where's near the workout you will be putting this thru. And this is basically a jack on it's side with dual pumps and a spring for retraction. I would sure want to get a look at the unit before I bought as shipping isn't free with these folks anymore.

Wiley

Comment

Hey hey hey, hold on there Bruce. I think you'll be there before that! My calculations say 2085!

Ken, a blood sport chopping wood huh? I can easily imagine a severed toe or two wriggling around on the ground while I'm chopping. Mexican jumping beans with toenails!
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I bought a very similar unit at Northern Tool, believe I paid $149 at a local store (no shipping). As for performance - works pretty well, just make sure your log ends are cut fairly straight - it "bites" much easier then. Yes is does give you a bit of a workout, as I stated on a similar thread, I was just coming off of my second rotator cuff surgery (had both done withing 3 months) - swinging an axe was not an option for me 2-3 months ago. I split an entire mixed cord of oak and citrus.....no problems, was actually good therapy for both shoulders.
                  Can't speak for longevity...it may fail the next time I use it (the Northern Tool splitter is also from China, maybe the same unit-different paint), but to me it paid for itself at the time - I was out of wood and couldn't chop.

RT

Comment

RT,
                    I hurt my shoulder last week with a dull axe trying to split wood. I sympathize. If it were me, I'd let a rotater cuff injury try to heal for a year before I let a doc cut on it. Surgeons are scary people. Their motto is "a chance to cut is a chance to cure". It is also a great chance to f** someone up for life and still get paid, and often overlook the fact that they didn't do you any good at all. I saw this in practice, over and over (and over, and over again). Lessons learned! Surgery is great for problems that are life threatening, less so for those that are annoyances. The human body is an amazing machine and can heal from many many injuries given time. Otherwise, roll the dice, take your chances.

How's your shoulder healing? Probably be a year to get back close to full function.
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Yeah, I have one. I got permanently sidelined from a horrible back injury. Arresting a super strong, drunken, mental dude. There is NO wood chopping in my future.
                      The cool part of the unit I have is that it has two roller blade style wheels on the heavy, business end. This allows me to roll it next to the end of my deck bench (fulcrum) and lever it onto the bench. No more bending over! Even a broke dick dog, like me, can move it around with relative ease. It splits wood nicely as long as you don't overload it. Log length has to be under 18 inches. (45.72 cm. for my metric friends)
                      I've had it for two years and it still works.

Comment

Thanks for the review PizzaPolice. I'm sorry to hear about your back. I really appreciate the hard, thankless work that you law enforcement guys and gals do for us!
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Comment

I really appreciate it, Ken. It was a great ride!
                          When life closes one door... Due to that event, I've been afforded the opportunity to learn all things PIZZA!

So...... Next time you fly over Northern Indiana, spit out the window for me.

Comment

I can't speak to these HF units, but as a healthy under-40 male who has split many logs over the years, I absolutely love the splitter my mom bought last year and can't believe we went so long without one! I think they are definitely a good investment if you chop much wood. I would recommend a motor-operated unit, unless you have an opportunity to test out this hand-pump unit before you buy.

PizzaPolice, I'm from LaPorte. Are you near there?
                            Picasa web album
                            Oven-building thread

Comment

George, I had been fighting both shoulders for over 3 yrs (the right, my dominant, for several more than that). Building my oven - carrying all the materials and mixing all that concrete by hand (stupid, very stupid) did me in. The right was nearly completely detached. With the bone spurs I had, both were only going to get worse. Finally, completely pain free and full range of motion in both within the past 3-4 weeks...many months of strengthening still ahead. (Will be playing golf again this year...first time in 4 yrs).

RT

Comment

Working...
                              X