Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casuarina wood (AKA Australian Pine, She-Oak, Ironwood) qualities

Good day everyone,

I'm starting my wood fired pizza business in South-East Asia and am now looking for wood suppliers.
    It seems that most of the wood types available are similar to what is found in Australia (Eucalyptus, She-oak, Acacia).

I'm offered a batch of seasoned She-Oak (AKA Australian Pine, Casuarina or Ironwood). I've read on the internet that it's one of the best firewoods in the world (denser than oak, burns slower and as hot), but I've not read any feedback from people using it for cooking pizza or meat.

Would anyone have experience with this wood species in a pizza oven?

Thanks a lot !

Fire some up and see how it burns some of the Australian hardwoods give a lot of smoke due to a high tar content, and the Asian may be similar., generally fast burnig wood is better as the slow burning wood which tends to overheat the floor

Comment

I agree with Toomulla. Although, I'm not totally convinced that "Australian Pine" is a hardwood. You said that you were "offered a batch". Don't turn down free wood. Some, who have problems sourcing wood will use softwood to heat the oven and then switch to the more difficult to find hardwood to maintain the oven.

Search of Forno Bravo for Australian Pine
      Last edited by Gulf; 10-12-2016, 03:55 PM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        I agree with Toomulla. Although, I'm not totally convinced that "Australian Pine" is a hardwood. You said that you were "offered a batch". Don't turn down free wood. Some, who have problems sourcing wood will use softwood to heat the oven and then switch to the more difficult to find hardwood to maintain the oven.

Search of Forno Bravo for Australian Pine
        Thanks a lot for your answers. I'll try to burn a few logs and will probably include some Eucalyptus in the mix (faster burning).

Australien Pine is a pine just by it's name. It's harder and denser than any type oak, and has a greater energy density. You can see it's properties under the first post via the link you posted.
        I'll keep you updated on the results: smoke, smell, ashes, etc.

Comment

Working...
        X