Apple vs Apricot wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple vs Apricot wood?

I found someone that has apple and apricot seasoned wood for sale at the same price. I am not sure which I should get, I know apple is one has one of the highest BTU/weight, but I also had a little apricot before and that wood is heavy and hard!

I could not find any information on apricot wood, other than it is good for burning/smoking.

Anyone have experience with apple vs apricot? (I could always just do half/half if not).
    --->My Build<---
    --->My Album<---

Apple and apricot are both great woods for smoking meat. Either will work just fine for heating the oven unless you can find some cheaper wood available in your area. I'm sure that it depends on where you live, but the fruit woods will usually be more expensive than hardwoods. The BBQ shows on tv have made them very popular with the back yard BBQers. There are plenty of other wood types that are ok for heating a WFO and are not in quite as demand. The WFO doesn't need an aromatic smoke flavor to get up to temp. It just needs fuel. UtahBeehiver is more versed on what is available in Utah. Like me, Russell is dedicated to finding what is cheap!...................... if not...................free .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I do not have any experience with either. You will not notice any difference in taste for the likes of cooking pizza. Only for lower temp live fire roasting or smoking. Otherwise if you are getting a good price on it as compared to other hard wood then maybe get some of each and see how you like them.

Randy

Comment

Yea, I just found a local supplier(5 minutes from my house) who has seasoned cherry/apple/apricot for the same price as all the other vendors have for mixed "hardwoods". Plus his wood has been seasoned 2 years as opposed to "6 months-ish". Unfortunately he is out of normal hardwood, but I already have purchases lined up for next spring when it will be seasoned enough.

I have found tons of free wood to, but nothing seasoned. Just need to get through these first 18 months, then I'm golden!
        --->My Build<---
        --->My Album<---

Comment

Wow that is great. I wish I could find a deal like that. I would say get some and try it out. I thought I had a huge supply but burnt it all up in just over a year. Now I need to get some.

Randy

Comment

Danjmath,

While you waiting for the apple/apricot wood for next year (I've used both) spread the word to coworkers/friends/neighbors that you will take any hardwoods cutdowns or pruning they have. I have yet to actually have to purchase any wood yet. I do use less desirable wood for the initial startup and first hour or so of firing (ie pine, fir, etc) then finish out with hardwoods for bringing the oven to final cooking temps. I always use hardwoods to keep the live fire during the pizza cooking stage. I've used apple, pear, apricot, plum as well as oak and maple.I especially snoop around when there is a big wind storm for dead fall or spring pruning season.
            Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-02-2017, 06:30 AM.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Any thoughts on Eucalyptus??? They are abundant here in so cal and often can be found for free. I love them for campfires but my friend who just installed a wood stove in his home was told by the installer to NEVER use Eucalyptus due to soot or something like that.
              https://picasaweb.google.com/1029081...00165373509921

Comment

If you do a search on "eucalyptus" you will see some SoCal opinions as well as Aussie opinions. I like what Gulf said, free is good. Both of us are the biggest scroungers on the forum.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Damer419 View Post
                  Any thoughts on Eucalyptus??? They are abundant here in so cal and often can be found for free. I love them for campfires but my friend who just installed a wood stove in his home was told by the installer to NEVER use Eucalyptus due to soot or something like that.
                  almost all wood fired cooking in australia is on eucalyptus

Comment

Working...
                  X