Wood Advice Needed Within 24 Hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Advice Needed Within 24 Hours

Or should that be Good Advice? Maybe both?

My regular supplier has quit, leaving me with just a day to get logs for a party on Thursday. I've found another who seems pretty good and knowledgeable, claiming also to supply pizza restaturants amongst other things.

They offer a bag of mixed 10" logs, which include birch, beech, oak, ash and hornbeam. I'm comfortable with all of these, except the hornbeam.

I have a list of "suitable" woods for direct cooking, and, whilst hornbeam is on the list, it is not marked as recommended.

They say they could bag up what I wanted, but how would I know if it was hornbeam or not? And what would happen if I did try to cook with it? I mean, it's not toxic, is it?

(Birch and alder are my preferred choices, but sadly they have no alder.)

The forum has become very slow so good luck with 24-hour requests. I think this is even outside of your window, and I'm a damn Yankee that doesn't really know what hornbeam is.

Anyways, when it comes to cooking with wood like this, I tend to look up smoking in particular. If there's a method where bad wood will have bad results, it's going to be smoking. I have never played with hornbeam, but it sounds fine. Some people apparently even prefer it:

http://www.bbbqs.com/Forum/viewtopic...tart=10#p26632

Some searches on using Hornbeam for smoking will come up with stuff, and quite a few things from the UK. It looks like the search results are actually better from google.co.uk.

Comment

damn that google machine is useful

http://www.woodstovewizard.com/firew...-hornbeam.html

Sounds like you want to have them split it for you
      Last edited by deejayoh; 09-20-2017, 08:31 PM.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Split it for me? Well I would hope so

Actually, Google is not that useful here. I was hoping to hear from someone who has experience of cooking pizza using hornbeam. If not on this forum, then where?

Yes, this forum has become slow. We can only speculate as to why.

Comment

from what I could find it is also known as Iron Wood ai is very good to burn it is usd for charcoal making and burns very hot
          Last edited by Toomulla; 09-22-2017, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cleverdick View Post
            Split it for me? Well I would hope so

Actually, Google is not that useful here. I was hoping to hear from someone who has experience of cooking pizza using hornbeam. If not on this forum, then where?

Yes, this forum has become slow. We can only speculate as to why.
            Sorry Cleverdick,

Since "hornbeam" grows in the UK, maybe some of the members of the UK WFO Forum will be able to help.
            Last edited by Gulf; 09-23-2017, 05:11 AM.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
            X