Wood doesn’t catch fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood doesn’t catch fire

I have been trying to start a fire in my new oven to start the curing process but the logs do not catch fire. I’m using dry wood that burns quick and easy in a fire pit but they don’t inside the oven. I have used a propane torch to start the log and it catches fire but dies immediately, I have used one of those little fire starters that burn the log but it doesn’t turn into an active fire. So my question is what is wrong? Maybe lack of oxigen? Just to let you guys know the inside dome is 14 and one quarter inches tall and the door is 8” by 16” does that have anything to do with it? Any ideas. Thank you
    Alfredo

I don’t believe you’ve done anything wrong. New ovens are often still fairly wet and notoriously difficult to fire with the flame dying frequently. They are also usually very smoky. Try using smaller kindling rather than big logs. The general rule with a wood fired oven is nothing thicker than your wrist anyhow. Also try starting the fire in the entry. As the oven dries somewhat it will improve dramatically, but be careful here as too much flame at this point can cause damage. I like to pre heat a few bits of wood in the entry before placing them in the oven,

The ideal door height is meant to be 63% of the internal height, but I don’t believe this figure is as important as many would have you believe. Your door height is a bit lower than that figure, but I’m pretty confident that it is not your problem and that your oven will fire fine once it is dry.
    Last edited by david s; 02-24-2018, 12:15 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Have you tried using charcoal briquettes for the first couple fires. The heat is transitional and will not temp. spike and gets you around 200 - 250 F. You can also BBQ something as well. You can start with a briquette chimney the spread around.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thank you guys I will try your recommendations.

Comment

Working...
        X