Warm up pallet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm up pallet

I am able to warm up my oven to pizza temp using less than one scrap pallet for wood. One or two pallet pieces at a time for a slow steady warm up, then rake over the coals for one or two pieces of good fire wood and it's pizza time!

my own cheap thrill....
    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Re: Warm up pallet

and gets rid of those 'falling to pieces' palettes. They are mainly hardwood over here but the pinus softwood ones are becoming more of the replacement pallettes. A second cousin of mine has a contract to make over a million a year at his timber mill using pinus radiata.
    How do you get on with those that have heaps of flaking paint on them? Do you burn them as well?

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

No paint on pallets here.

P. Radiata sounds like a good use of an invasive species in your part of the wolrd. Just goes to show you the negative effects of transplanting non-native species in a new environement:

Monterey Pine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Yeah I tried a pallet I "found" outside a building site. Distaster!

They appear to have been painting them with diesel or something because as I added the first piece to my raging fire THICK black smoke began pouring out.

I'll stick to split logs.

Comment

Sound like it needed some injector cleaner put on it. Maybe it would burn cleaner.
          I have seen a truck tyre burn fiercely when freshly cut walnut tree branches, dripping with white sap, were put onto it without any smoke what so ever.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I've sworn off bad wood. I burned some damp pine and it put out so much black soot that I had to grind my stone arch to get it back to white before I sealed it.

Never again.

I guess there is a T-shirt out there somewhere that says Live's Too Short for Bad Wood.

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Injector cleaner?
              Crikey you're a ratbag Neil.
              Luddite Jeff.
              (Oh! You were serious - I'm so sorry.......).
              btw Neil have just had the 3L Rodeo chipped and gassed: Tres bon.(Strewth, I hope that translates as 'very good', or I could be in strife I reckon). J.

Comment

G'day James,
                I guess I was a tad slow to sequence behind Nissanneill.
                I'm afraid I've given up on appearances. My doors don't seal, and smoke a bit of tucker. The result is a wickedly stained arch.
                Less smoking and more baking may benefit both the oven AND the body.
                Cheers Boss. (Oh and I just love the images of your setup: amazing what you blokes get up to.)
                Jeff the Primitive.

Comment

What was this thread about? Oh yeah, a single pallet to fire an oven. Not at my house. Probably two! Maybe I'll try it and see. I cut up a pallet a couple of months ago. (what a pain in the rear!) I might try in the future to see what happens.
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Never seen painted pallets or those saturated with diesel or other combustible. I know for a fact many pallets are treated with pesticides and mildewcides and wood preservatives. Pallet recycling has become quite a big business, many industries actually charge you a fee for not returning them, they want them back....Sod farms here in FL are big on that. When I resoded my lawn, the sod farm offered me a $25 per pallet rebate to return the 8 pallets my sod came on (basically making one pallet of sod "free"); just called them up after the instalation and when a truck was in the area the next week they stopped and picked them up.
                    All that being said, I won't burn pallets unless I am CERTAIN they have not been treated with something, unless you know the mill they came from you can't be certain.

RT

Comment

Working...
                    X