Over Heated Napolino during Curing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Heated Napolino during Curing

Hello Everyone! I just got my new Napolino 70 oven, and I've had two curing fires in it. I fear, or I know rather, the oven got over 300/400 degrees. I'm letting it cool, there appears to be no cracking, the dome is black. I believe this is normal (I do have a big green egg too) and it will burn off the excess carbon once the fires are very hot correct? I just used a laser thermometer and the dome is 534, it did go over 600 and i quickly pulled some of the small pieces of wood out.

Has anyone else been in this situation? I hope i didn't damage it. I've attached a few pictures, the "clear area" was where the fire was. Not sure if anyone near Fairfield CT, has one. This thing was beyond heavy and very hard to get it into it's final resting place.

Hoping someone can put my mind at ease.

Lucas

Yep, the smoke is normal, once you get over 750, the carbon will burn away.

definitely check to ensure you don't have cracks in the dome, and be sure to follow the iterative curing temp schedule in the future

Comment

Hi Lucas,

Welcome to the forum. I think your OK, just take it a little slower from here on out and follow the curing schedule. Some time in the future (unless you have a "one of a kind" oven) you may evemtually find a crack no matter how careful you are. That is just the nature of refractory brick and cast ovens. If and when you do, don't worry, it can't fall in on itself, and it will cook just fine.
      the dome is black. I believe this is normal (I do have a big green egg too) and it will burn off the excess carbon once the fires are very hot correct?
      Yes, it will burn clean when it finally gets up to temperature. Then, the next time you start a fire in the cold oven, it will get black again until it gets up to temperature again .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
      X