Curing a hybrid-construction oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing a hybrid-construction oven

Hi there! Thankful this forum exists and hopeful for some feedback. Apologies in advance if my nomenclature is incorrect.
    I have a precast olivine-vermiculite dome and floor that was poured over 3 years ago. I was advised by the oven builder to follow Forno Bravo’s curing instructions, as that is the process he has followed for his other oven cures of the same design & construction materials he has used.
    A year ago I insulated the floor with the Forno Bravo floor insulation, and then decided (because I had easy access to, and was free) to insulate the dome with straw, clay slip, and some sand that was present in the clay mix. The oven has sat outside covered under a tarp and roof for a year now (life changes has taken time away from finishing it). I am intimidated by the curing process in general, but am curious if this material for the insulation will have any negative affect on the curing process? I know silly to ask after the fact. There is also a hairline crack on the inside of the dome from when it was moved onto the floor. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

I would patch the crack first. Then depending on the size of the crack cure up to a week then start your curing firings. You can take more time and start slower. Use a heat gun to supplement spot curing. Get it going aren’t you hungry for home built pizza?

Comment

Thank you Rock71 for your input- do you have a suggestion for what to patch the crack with?

Comment

Working...
      X