Compressed wood logs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressed wood logs

Any feedback on using compressed wood like like birch. I noticed in many of the videos (include Leo) they used compressed wood logs. Are they clean, do they burn hotter, more efficient. I used seasoned hardwood (mostly oak here in texas) and the oven temp is perfect but I do burn through a lot of wood.

Hi Mroudi,

Welcome to the forum. What videos are you referring to? I would be concerned with what binders that are being used in the logs. You may be able to get a MSDS from the manufacturer. But, I would be surprised to find that compressed logs would be a cheaper option than cordwood.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I was referring to the Leo Spizzirri videos, he is a master pizza maker affiliated with Forno Bravo and he was promoting compressed birch logs, which i get because he is in restaurants and cooking logs. Just curious if they burn better, cleaner, hotter, etc...

Comment

Okay. I'm not sure if Leo gets notifications from the forum. But, I do have him as a friend on facebook. I'll ask him about the compressed logs. In the meantime can you link me the video?
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I did some searching and found these.

Jealous Devil Blox Hickory/Oak Compressed Natural Hardwood Fire Wood, 12 Logs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W5BDGG9..._Gt5mEbPPRGFXF

Ricky
          My Build Pictures
          https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

I can’t fink the link to copy but its on Leo’s FB site posted on Jan 11 and at the 1:21 minute mark. Thanks for researching.

Comment

Greetings everyone,
              Here’s the deal with compressed logs. There are 2 kinds that I use, one made of birch and the other of hickory. The birch logs come from Italy and manufactured by a company called Sitta and they are called “Il Faggetto”. The importer is Impero Foods and you can find them on social media by searching @pizzafirelogs. The Faggetto product is VPN approved and a clean source of fuel. One log burns equivalent to 3 pieces of corded wood. There are no additives and burn long due to the process of compression. I like these because they burn complete and produce little ash to clean up out of the oven.
              The second is a log that I developed along with Jealous Devil, the charcoal company. These are called Blox and will officially hit the market over the next few months. Like Faggetto, the are made in a similar process and burn the same. These are hickory. The difference is that they are made in the USA so the cost is a little better due to the transport. I like both options because they come wrapped so you don’t have the problems like corded wood that sits outside and gets wet. These are easy to stack under an oven and everything stays clean. I can fit an entire pallet under my Napoli 140 at the school. Hopefully this helps! You can follow me on social media at @askleopizza and @pizzaculinaryacademy for videos and lots of tips!
              Thanks,
              leo

Comment

Ask_Leo_Pizza very interesting. I may have to try them soon. I seen them on Amazon after I seen the original post. Thanks for clearing this up. I live in Chicago and one of these days I will be in Lisle to take one of your courses. Really want to sharpen my skills.

Ricky
                My Build Pictures
                https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Ask_Leo_Pizza,

What's your procedure for firing a cold oven when using the Jealous Devil Blox?

John

Comment

Working...
                  X