Cart ahead of horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cart ahead of horse

Finishing up my 36" build and had 3 curing fires with the insulation on. Got up to 300 degrees. Had a nice day yesterday and slapped on the scratch coat. Then last night it dawned me i prolly should have finished the curing process before rendering. I confirmed that on this priceless forum. Apparently one cant research enough. So now do i finish the curing process, finish the rendering, or both? 4" of ceramic blanket so it shouldnt cook the render too much. Thoughts?

And i did put a vent in the top for moisture escape

Comment

The "cure before render" is a recommendation not a rule. Just go slow on the curing fires. Lay a piece of clear plastic loosely over your vent occasionally to check for escaping moisture. It's amazing how much moisture is contained in a new build, especially when an insulating concrete (perlcrete or vermicrete) is incorporated...or a lot of mortar has been used to fill in dome brick gaps. Go extra slow and do some baked small potatoes in a Dutch oven or beans or a batch of ribs with long, slow & low temp cooking. Those 300-400F temps are perfect for a lot of good eats.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ya im struggling to keep the drool under control. Getting excited. Thanks for the reply. I think ill do both unless the render looks like its drying fast and keep it low. And definitely get some food cooking!!

Comment

Heed Mike's advice, this is where we see builders get too excited and fire too fast and hot and potentially damage the oven or outer coatings.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I understand. Hurry up and wait!!

Comment

Working...
            X