How long can you fire for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can you fire for?

We are having our annual get together in the summer and are planning a Pizza party. Last year was a straightforward BBQ. We start around 3pm and finish when everybody has gone, normally around midnight.
    People come and go during the whole of that period, is it OK to have the WFO fired to Pizza temp for 9 hours?

Thanks

Simon

Re: How long can you fire for?

Simon
    Absolutely no problem with that...restaurant ovens do it all the time. Good luck and have fun!
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I second what Dutch said. Crank up the heat.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about the commercial people doing it all day, good point. Just need some practise now!

Simon

Comment

......and a lot of wood!
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Hopefully wood shouldn't be a problem. I have a friend who runs a skip hire (not sure if they are called skips in the US? - giant trash can I guess) business and he has to pay to get rid of all the wood that is disposed of, so he is more than happy to let me have as much as I want for free!!
            Might not be so good for the environment, but I guess wherever he gets rid of it also burns it.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by SimonWoodfield View Post
              Hopefully wood shouldn't be a problem. I have a friend who runs a skip hire (not sure if they are called skips in the US? - giant trash can I guess) business and he has to pay to get rid of all the wood that is disposed of, so he is more than happy to let me have as much as I want for free!!
              Might not be so good for the environment, but I guess wherever he gets rid of it also burns it.

Simon

Simon

Watch out for pallets - some of the new ones are treated with lovely chemical brews, and they aren't real wood ! They are compressed woodchip that doesn't burn.

Find somewhere you can dry the wood - side of the house or somewhere sheltered. Some can take 6-12 months to dry properly.

Cheers

Peter

Comment

Peter,
                Thanks for that, I will watch for them. The last batch of wood I got was mostly 4" x 3" x 8' lengths, they don't look to be treated. I intend to get the oven to cooking temp with this type of wood and then cook with "Real" wood.
                My friend has offered me 100 50ft fir tree trunks I think I'm gonna need a bigger trailer! Not sure where I could store that amount of wood, but it should keep me going for a while once it has dried out!

Cheers

Simon

Comment

not sure if they are called skips in the US?
                  They are called "dumpsters" in the states, after George Roby Dempster, industrialist and mayor of Knoxville, TN, who got the idea for a mechanically dumped garbage bin while assisting with trash collection during a garbage collectors strike. His company went to to market the system under the "Dempster Dumpster" trade name, which has since become generic.
                  Last edited by dmun; 06-05-2008, 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

dmun,
                    There ain't much you can't learn on this site!

Simon

Comment

Working...
                    X