Curing maintenance in high humidity environments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing maintenance in high humidity environments

I live in Florida, and needless to say there is a lot of moisture in the air. Anyone with experience with how often I should cure the oven? Do you go through a full curing cycle or something shorter?
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I don't want to be surprised with a big crack one day!
    Chris

Welcome Chris! The curing process is intended to drive out the "building moisture" from the bricks, mortar, and insulating concrete (if used). All masonry based ovens and their insulations will absorb moisture from the air and are susceptible to water seeping in through dome render cracks, perimeter seams, & entry areas (unless your oven is covered with a roofed structure). Humidity will always be a factor if you don't use the oven on a regular basis. If your oven is exposed to the elements or you live in a humid area (like Florida ), you may need to do a couple slow & low firings to safely drive out the absorbed moisture after a long period without a firing.

That said, once cured properly and used normally (a couple times a month), you shouldn't need to worry about cracking because the masonry components won't absorb that much water (unless Hurricane Fred gets everything thoroughly soaked ). After the initial curing, it's the insulation that absorbs the most water and simply makes your oven less efficient until that insulation material (batting, board, or insulating concrete) is dried out.

Relax & have an adult beverage.
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for including the adult beverage.
      I bought the waterproof cover for my oven, so I should be good. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X